Tianyue Sun / Staff Photographer

The New Museum, a fixture of the Bowery, is a top museum pick south of Midtown's infamous "museum mile."

Anthology Film Archives
Looking for something more familiar? Check out your favorite cult classics and indie features for $13 at this art deco hipster haven. You can also pick up Magnolia Picture DVDs, vegan cookies, and “the best popcorn,” as voted by Time Out New York in 2010. Shows within the next week include “The Room,” “Space Jam,” “A Place at the Table,” and “Genius on Hold.”

Bowery BallroomHappy Ending Lounge
Don't be fooled by its exterior. The “Xie He Health Club,” “Happy Ending,” provides intimacy and eccentricity in honor of its sexy, massage-parlor past. The speakeasy-esque ground floor plays host to themed readings, including horror, Southern, and—you guessed it—erotica. On the lower level, a dance hall complete with the vestiges of waist-high showers and saunas.

New Museum
Enjoy some contemporary art while catching unobstructed views of Manhattan at this architectural standout. The current exhibit—“NYC 1993: Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star”—examines art made two decades ago, over the course of a single year. Taking its name from a Sonic Youth album, the exhibit was “conceived as a time capsule, an experiment in collective memory,” according to its release. The museum's Birdbath CafĂ© sells seasonal, locally-grown food and gives a 25 percent discount for anyone who arrives on bike or skateboard.

Sunshine Cinema

laura.allen@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec
neighborhood watch