Arts & Entertainment

April 24, 2015, 3:20 AM

Barnard Columbia Divest for Climate Justice seeks to create a conversation surrounding climate change divestment, that focuses on social justice rather than academic, scientific, or financial boundaries. This Friday in Butler Plaza, it will focus on art that humanizes those who suffer from climate change.

Top Stories

+
Apr 30, 2015, 12:57 AM
3

Writers Tao Lin and Mira Gonzalez explore their drug use, depression, and experiences through their tweets, compiled in a book to be released on June 15.

Apr 30, 2015, 1:00 AM
4

The musical presents an overly simplistic retelling of the poignant graphic novel.

May 19, 2015, 3:27 PM

As a double major in economics and history and theory of architecture, the president of Design for America, and a former member of student groups like the Varsity Show and Community Impact, Andrew Demas, CC ’15, has accrued a long list of accomplishments during his four years at Columbia.

May 19, 2015, 3:07 PM

Keeping in line with Barnard’s tradition of poet and writer alumni, sonneteer and food aficionada Caroline Lange, BC ’15, plans to pursue a career as a food writer. Unlike other writers, however, Lange boasts a versatile style and is interested not only in poetry as an art form, but also in applying it to different fields.

Weekend

+
Apr 30, 2015, 4:28 AM

This Weekend looks at experimental poetry, Flyying Colour's pyschedelic new EP and Passion Pit's new album, and Fun Home the musical.

Apr 23, 2015, 3:07 AM

This Weekend takes a look at tap dance, satirical film, and Tyler the Creator's new album.

Apr 9, 2015, 6:32 AM

This Weekend celebrates independent artists, including a Columbia SoA alumna, and reviews Shlohmo's and Matt and Kim's new albums.

Apr 2, 2015, 6:23 AM

This Weekend explores feminism, antiracism, and sportswear.

Art

+
Apr 30, 2015, 1:11 AM

Over 40 miniature Alexander Calder sculptures endeavor to show a unique, tiny universe of balance and symmetry.

Apr 24, 2015, 3:20 AM
3

Apr 23, 2015, 1:33 AM
3

The newest exhibit at the Callicoon Fine Arts gallery features immersive multimedia artwork from three Dubai-based artists.

Apr 16, 2015, 3:33 AM

Though lacking the clout and pop culture references of the MoMA, these small art galleries boast just as many thoughtful artists as their more popular counterparts.

Books

+
Apr 30, 2015, 12:57 AM
3

Apr 24, 2015, 3:04 AM
7

Morris Dickstein spoke to Spectator about his new memoir, Why Not Say What Happened, which follows his undergraduate experience at the University.

Apr 6, 2015, 12:13 AM

Professor David Scott’s new book, “Omens of Adversity: Tragedy, Time, Memory, Justice,” which focuses on time and tragedy in relation to the Grenada Revolution, will be the subject of a discussion on April 6.

Apr 1, 2015, 12:46 AM

Quarto, the official literary magazine of Columbia’s undergraduate creative writing program, is going to be hosting a weeklong flash fiction contest, Enter The Thunderdome, in order to bring together more people as part of Columbia’s creative writing community.

Columns

+
Apr 30, 2015, 12:54 AM

Rebecca Pottash discusses some of the strongest female characters on TV.

Apr 23, 2015, 2:36 AM
2

This month’s “Guilty Pleasures” chronicles Madison Seely’s college experience through the song “Like a G6.”

Apr 16, 2015, 3:48 AM

Columnist Sally Gao explores “TFW” and the idea of how we handle feelings in an increasingly virtual world.

Apr 9, 2015, 3:38 AM

Columnist Emily Burns discusses the legacy of New York's literary history.

Dance

+
May 19, 2015, 3:17 PM

If you’re a senior in the School of General Studies, you may know Jason Pettigrew, GS ’15, from the slew of emails he sent as senior class president. If not, you may recognize him as the backup dancer lifting Miley Cyrus onto his shoulder in “Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour 3D.

Apr 23, 2015, 2:31 AM
1

With six performances over five days, “Rhythm in Motion” pushes the boundaries of form and rhythm while featuring commentary on everything from racism to climate change.

Apr 16, 2015, 2:44 AM

In their 2015 season at The Joyce, Ballet Hispanico is once more pushing the boundaries of common conceptions of Latino movement, dance, and culture.

Apr 2, 2015, 1:23 AM

The dance performance uses a style of Jamaican street dance, flex, to explore topics of criminal justice and racial inequality in America.

Film

+
Apr 23, 2015, 2:26 AM

93 years’ worth of utter originality is brought into focus in “Iris,” an Albert Maysles documentary devoted to New York style icon Iris Apfel.

Apr 23, 2015, 2:35 AM
2

Taking place in the picturesque Swiss countryside, “Clouds of Sils Maria” explores the desperation and loneliness of one struggling actress.

Apr 16, 2015, 3:45 AM

Directed by Alex Garland and starring Domhnall Gleeson, Oscar Isaac, and Alicia Vikander, “Ex Machina” manages to bring something new to the conversation of artificial intelligence.

Apr 14, 2015, 10:43 PM
1

Columbia alum Frédéric Tcheng, director of “Dior and I,” shares insights about his time at Columbia and his filmmaking.

Miscellaneous

+
May 19, 2015, 3:27 PM

Apr 30, 2015, 1:04 AM

These poems serve as an introduction to the thought-provoking works of alt-lit writers Mira Gonzalez and Tao Lin.

Apr 23, 2015, 1:40 AM

These cult classic thought-provoking films explore themes like politics, religion, and capitalism through a comedic lens.

Apr 9, 2015, 3:15 AM
1

Though not as big-budget or elaborate as mainstream cinema, these out-of-the-box films are equally compelling.

Food & Drink

+
May 19, 2015, 3:07 PM

Apr 30, 2015, 1:10 AM

Daihwan Choi, SEAS ’86 and Oxido founder, describes the opening of the restaurant and its focus on flavor as well as speed to create a casual but authentic dining experience.

Apr 21, 2015, 10:56 PM
1

Columbia alumni Katerina Vorotova, CC ’07, and David Foult, SIPA ’14, created Try The World, a bimonthly food subscription service that delivers a box featuring food from a different country with each installment. This month’s box features Morocco.

Apr 9, 2015, 3:43 AM

Bar Sardine’s new brunch menu is the perfect excuse to visit the West Village on a weekend morning. The restaurant’s new offerings keep the focus on food, while consistently delivering on quality service.

Music

+
May 19, 2015, 2:56 PM
1

If you haven’t already heard Miguel Gallego’s music, there’s a good chance that someday you will.

The New Jersey punk rocker and Columbia College senior has had a wide-ranging influence on Columbia’s music scene, from playing guitar and singing for groups like Drug Pizza to working as a staff member for Barnard’s radio station, WBAR.

May 1, 2015, 3:07 PM

The four undergraduate deans have given their full approval for next year’s Bacchanal, according to the Bacchanal committee.

Apr 30, 2015, 1:15 AM
1

Sonic walls of distorted guitars and angelic vocals mark Flyying Colours’ new release.

Apr 30, 2015, 1:05 AM

Passion Pit’s new album gets a little too experimental.

Style

+
Feb 18, 2015, 3:14 AM
3

Elaborate light shows, stage design, and a diverse range of performers come to Roone Arledge Auditorium this Saturday with the 2015 Lunar Gala fashion show.

Oct 30, 2014, 12:42 AM

A lecture and workshop at the Morbid Anatomy Museum is looking to revive a long-dead (but still preserved) trend.

Oct 17, 2014, 1:39 AM

Alpha Chi Omega's first annual Runway Warriors fashion show premiers in Lerner Party Space this Saturday.

Oct 16, 2014, 5:18 AM

The Italian jeweler looks back on its creator’s legacy.

Television

+
Apr 16, 2015, 3:51 AM
2

Comedian Grace Parra, CC'06, spoke with Spectator about her experiences in comedy and improv, what drew her to talk show hosting, and the lack of diversity in late night television.

Jan 29, 2015, 3:05 AM

Brooks Wheelan has covered a lot of ground in the past year and a half. The Iowa native and comedian leapt from working a job at a biomedical engineering lab in Los Angeles into a gig across the country, writing and performing on the 39th season of “Saturday Night Live” (“SNL”).

Oct 16, 2014, 4:29 AM

The annual New York Television Festival provides independent creators with a chance to produce meaningful content that candidly examines life in the 21st century.

Oct 2, 2014, 6:00 AM

At the center of Fox’s “Gracepoint,” are two detectives working to solve the death of a young boy. 

Theater

+
May 2, 2015, 9:06 PM
50

This year’s performance, which lambasted the usual targets, left a lot to be desired.

Apr 30, 2015, 1:00 AM
4

Apr 23, 2015, 2:40 AM

While the choreography and set are visually appealing, the play falls short at fully portraying the intricacies of life in post-WWII Paris.

Apr 16, 2015, 3:42 AM

The Royal Shakespeare Company's production of Hilary Mantel's award-winning novels effectively translates the rich plot for the stage.