Arts & Entertainment

March 12, 2015, 9:29 PM

After Bacchanal announced it would not sell any more tickets to the sold-out April 4 concert, ABC and student council leaders have agreed to cover Bacchanal ticket refunds under conditions. 

Top Stories

+
Apr 1, 2015, 12:46 AM

Quarto, the official literary magazine of Columbia’s undergraduate creative writing program, is going to be hosting a weeklong flash fiction contest, Enter The Thunderdome, in order to bring together more people as part of Columbia’s creative writing community.

Mar 30, 2015, 1:12 AM

Barnard’s senior creative thesis dance concert challenged traditional ideas of dance and narrative this year, telling complex stories that addressed motifs like racism and restraint.

Mar 26, 2015, 9:18 AM
45

The Bacchanal committee has been given permission by administrators to issue 2,000 additional concert tickets for the April 4 concert. Under the current proposal, the committee will issue refunds to the original ticket holders, who will get to keep their tickets. 

Mar 26, 2015, 6:17 AM

Tamasha Rogue, one of Columbia’s most anticipated cultural showcases and hosted by Club Zamana, performs this Saturday for a night of South Asian-inspired talent.

Weekend

+
Mar 26, 2015, 6:21 AM

This Weekend, read Will Ferrell and Kevin Harts thoughts about “Get Hard,” listen to Twin Shadow, and see “White God.”

Mar 12, 2015, 6:53 AM

The final Weekend before spring break takes a look at Björk’s MoMa retrospective, the Paul Taylor Dance Company, and #TheDress.

Mar 5, 2015, 5:07 AM

This Weekend considers the changing notion of art in the 21st century.

Feb 26, 2015, 12:05 PM

This Weekend explores the value of contemporary art, breakfast ice cream sundaes, Big Sean’s new album, and the Oscar wins.

Art

+
Mar 12, 2015, 4:47 AM

Famed Icelandic musician Bjork’s MoMA retrospective will delight faithful fans, but offers little to wow casual observers.

Mar 12, 2015, 4:49 AM

Artists Space’s newest exhibit showcases dynamic, politically-charged works by German filmmaker and artist Hito Steyerl.

Mar 5, 2015, 1:02 AM

EO1’s Beta Showcase presents a variety of GIFs and digital artworks, pushing the boundaries of art in the modern age.

Feb 26, 2015, 3:02 AM

“If These Walls Could Talk” asks viewers to reconsider their definitions of art through its text-based installations.

Books

+
Apr 1, 2015, 12:46 AM

Mar 5, 2015, 3:06 AM

PEN/Faulkner Award winner Joseph O’Neill reads from his most recent book, “The Dog,” at the NYU Reading Series. His narrator portrays what it means to be international in a global world.

Mar 2, 2015, 1:47 AM
10

Karen Bao, CC ’16, recently released her first young adult novel “Dove Arising” with Penguin. Penguin hopes the novel, the first of a three-part series, will be the next big young-adult series. 

Feb 25, 2015, 12:05 AM

Columbia will host an event, John Berryman at 100: A Celebration,” to celebrate the life of renowned poet John Berryman CC ‘36 and to examine his work in a new light.

Columns

+
Mar 26, 2015, 12:48 AM

Columnist Madison Seely explores the idea of pop culture elitism and embracing “bad taste.”

Mar 12, 2015, 4:29 AM

Columnist Sally Gao explores the power of viral memes through the controversial blue and black/white and gold dress debate.

Mar 5, 2015, 2:57 AM

Emily Burns discusses the significance of the modern essay, from Montaigne to Roxane Gay.

Feb 26, 2015, 12:23 AM
3

One student details the problem of diversity in the Oscars and how change needs to start at a production level to make a difference.

Dance

+
Mar 30, 2015, 1:12 AM

Mar 26, 2015, 6:17 AM

Mar 12, 2015, 4:07 AM

Robert Swinston’s Le Centre National de Danse Contemporaine-Angers makes its U.S. debut with a collage of Merce Cunningham’s most famous pieces.

Mar 12, 2015, 4:19 AM

Paul Taylor’s inventive troupe, the Paul Taylor Dance Company, showcases a variety of pieces that are disturbing, comedic, and classic.

Film

+
Mar 26, 2015, 2:46 AM

Comedians Kevin Hart and Will Ferrell talk about their newest movie project, “Get Hard,” plus working with breakout director Etan Cohen.

Mar 26, 2015, 2:55 AM

A number of films from the Danish experimental film festival Dogme 95 are on display at New York City’s Museum of Arts and Design. The movement sought to revolutionize methods of filmmaking and storytelling.

Mar 26, 2015, 2:59 AM

Kornél Mundruczó’s allegorical film “White God” follows an abused dog’s ill-fated journey through the streets of Budapest.

Mar 12, 2015, 4:00 AM
1

Oscar-nominated filmmakers Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering focus on the disturbing realities of campus sexual assault in their new film, “The Hunting Ground.”

Miscellaneous

+
Mar 26, 2015, 2:47 AM
1

While it might not have a reputation as well-known as Chicago or New York, New Zealand is pretty ubiquitous in being the setting for these movies.

Mar 12, 2015, 4:54 AM

Though they lack the fantastical special effects of the “Harry Potter” series, these documentaries shed much-needed light on unique topics.

Mar 5, 2015, 1:14 AM

Get inspired by checking out some recent weird but cool inventions.

Feb 12, 2015, 5:59 AM

While not as well-known as their Western European counterparts, these Russian artists have all the finesse and skill.

Food & Drink

+
Feb 26, 2015, 1:15 AM

Morgenstern’s Finest Ice Cream’s "Brutal Breakfast" menu is surprisingly light and refreshing.

Feb 23, 2015, 2:22 AM

Jacques Torres, artisan chocolatier, comes to Blue Java Coffee Bar next Tuesday, Feb. 24, to present his desserts and engage with students.

Feb 18, 2015, 11:00 PM
1

Chalait, Manhattan’s first matcha bar, is a relaxing spot that features a variety of matcha-infused beverages and brunch foods.

Feb 13, 2015, 2:34 AM

Butter & Scotch, Brooklyn’s boozy dessert bar, finally opens its brick-and-mortar after two years in Smorgasburg.

Music

+
Mar 26, 2015, 9:18 AM
45

Mar 26, 2015, 3:01 AM

Synthpop artist Twin Shadow’s newest album marks a departure from his usual soulful lyrics to a more mainstream sound.

Mar 23, 2015, 12:52 AM
17

The Bacchanal executive board will make final decisions this week about how to refund all tickets and whether to comply with a March 12 resolution from ABC to redistribute the 4,000 tickets sold to undergraduates.

Mar 12, 2015, 9:29 PM
61

Style

+
Feb 18, 2015, 3:14 AM
3

Elaborate light shows, stage design, and a diverse range of performers come to Roone Arledge Auditorium this Saturday with the 2015 Lunar Gala fashion show.

Oct 30, 2014, 12:42 AM

A lecture and workshop at the Morbid Anatomy Museum is looking to revive a long-dead (but still preserved) trend.

Oct 17, 2014, 1:39 AM

Alpha Chi Omega's first annual Runway Warriors fashion show premiers in Lerner Party Space this Saturday.

Oct 16, 2014, 5:18 AM

The Italian jeweler looks back on its creator’s legacy.

Television

+
Jan 29, 2015, 3:05 AM

Brooks Wheelan has covered a lot of ground in the past year and a half. The Iowa native and comedian leapt from working a job at a biomedical engineering lab in Los Angeles into a gig across the country, writing and performing on the 39th season of “Saturday Night Live” (“SNL”).

Oct 16, 2014, 4:29 AM

The annual New York Television Festival provides independent creators with a chance to produce meaningful content that candidly examines life in the 21st century.

Oct 2, 2014, 6:00 AM

At the center of Fox’s “Gracepoint,” are two detectives working to solve the death of a young boy. 

Sep 24, 2014, 1:57 AM
5

The “Pretty Little Liars” and “Camp Rock” actor talks to Spectator about acting, and being new to campus life.

Theater

+
Mar 26, 2015, 3:10 AM

The Metropolitan Opera’s production of “Manon” masterfully highlights the darker parts of material wish fulfillment.

Mar 26, 2015, 2:45 AM

‘New Zealand New Performance’ gives New Zealand creators the opportunity to discuss experimental themes and highlight the merging of New Zealand and American cultures.

Mar 12, 2015, 7:17 AM

Columbia University (No Budget) Sketch Show is here to remind us all how absurd life at Columbia can be.

Mar 12, 2015, 4:12 AM

“Bright Half Life” explores the haphazard nature of emotional connection through the portrayal of Vicky and Erica’s relationship, which challenges ideas of temporality.