Arts & Entertainment

April 23, 2015, 1:33 AM

The newest exhibit at the Callicoon Fine Arts gallery features immersive multimedia artwork from three Dubai-based artists.

Top Stories

+
Apr 24, 2015, 3:04 AM
2

Morris Dickstein spoke to Spectator about his new memoir, Why Not Say What Happened, which follows his undergraduate experience at the University.

Apr 24, 2015, 3:20 AM

Barnard Columbia Divest for Climate Justice seeks to create a conversation surrounding climate change divestment, that focuses on social justice rather than academic, scientific, or financial boundaries. This Friday in Butler Plaza, it will focus on art that humanizes those who suffer from climate change.

Apr 23, 2015, 2:31 AM

With six performances over five days, “Rhythm in Motion” pushes the boundaries of form and rhythm while featuring commentary on everything from racism to climate change.

Apr 23, 2015, 2:26 AM

93 years’ worth of utter originality is brought into focus in “Iris,” an Albert Maysles documentary devoted to New York style icon Iris Apfel.

Weekend

+
Apr 23, 2015, 3:07 AM

This Weekend takes a look at tap dance, satirical film, and Tyler the Creator's new album.

Apr 9, 2015, 6:32 AM

This Weekend celebrates independent artists, including a Columbia SoA alumna, and reviews Shlohmo's and Matt and Kim's new albums.

Apr 2, 2015, 6:23 AM

This Weekend explores feminism, antiracism, and sportswear.

Mar 26, 2015, 6:21 AM

This Weekend, read Will Ferrell and Kevin Harts thoughts about “Get Hard,” listen to Twin Shadow, and see “White God.”

Art

+
Apr 24, 2015, 3:20 AM

Apr 23, 2015, 1:33 AM

Apr 16, 2015, 3:33 AM

Though lacking the clout and pop culture references of the MoMA, these small art galleries boast just as many thoughtful artists as their more popular counterparts.

Apr 16, 2015, 2:32 AM

Artist Lucy Jones challenges norms of beauty in her exhibit at the Flowers Gallery.

Books

+
Apr 24, 2015, 3:04 AM
2

Apr 6, 2015, 12:13 AM

Professor David Scott’s new book, “Omens of Adversity: Tragedy, Time, Memory, Justice,” which focuses on time and tragedy in relation to the Grenada Revolution, will be the subject of a discussion on April 6.

Apr 1, 2015, 12:46 AM

Quarto, the official literary magazine of Columbia’s undergraduate creative writing program, is going to be hosting a weeklong flash fiction contest, Enter The Thunderdome, in order to bring together more people as part of Columbia’s creative writing community.

Mar 5, 2015, 3:06 AM

PEN/Faulkner Award winner Joseph O’Neill reads from his most recent book, “The Dog,” at the NYU Reading Series. His narrator portrays what it means to be international in a global world.

Columns

+
Apr 23, 2015, 2:36 AM
2

This month’s “Guilty Pleasures” chronicles Madison Seely’s college experience through the song “Like a G6.”

Apr 16, 2015, 3:48 AM

Columnist Sally Gao explores “TFW” and the idea of how we handle feelings in an increasingly virtual world.

Apr 9, 2015, 3:38 AM

Columnist Emily Burns discusses the legacy of New York's literary history.

Apr 2, 2015, 1:20 AM
4

Rebecca Pottash explores the hidden downsides behind one of today’s most popular and enduring TV sitcoms.

Dance

+
Apr 23, 2015, 2:31 AM

Apr 16, 2015, 2:44 AM

In their 2015 season at The Joyce, Ballet Hispanico is once more pushing the boundaries of common conceptions of Latino movement, dance, and culture.

Apr 2, 2015, 1:23 AM

The dance performance uses a style of Jamaican street dance, flex, to explore topics of criminal justice and racial inequality in America.

Mar 30, 2015, 1:12 AM

Barnard’s senior creative thesis dance concert challenged traditional ideas of dance and narrative this year, telling complex stories that addressed motifs like racism and restraint.

Film

+
Apr 23, 2015, 2:26 AM

Apr 23, 2015, 2:35 AM

Taking place in the picturesque Swiss countryside, “Clouds of Sils Maria” explores the desperation and loneliness of one struggling actress.

Apr 16, 2015, 3:45 AM

Directed by Alex Garland and starring Domhnall Gleeson, Oscar Isaac, and Alicia Vikander, “Ex Machina” manages to bring something new to the conversation of artificial intelligence.

Apr 14, 2015, 10:43 PM
1

Columbia alum Frédéric Tcheng, director of “Dior and I,” shares insights about his time at Columbia and his filmmaking.

Miscellaneous

+
Apr 23, 2015, 1:40 AM

These cult classic thought-provoking films explore themes like politics, religion, and capitalism through a comedic lens.

Apr 9, 2015, 3:15 AM
1

Though not as big-budget or elaborate as mainstream cinema, these out-of-the-box films are equally compelling.

Apr 2, 2015, 1:03 AM

While somewhat ridiculous, these instantly recognizable dance moves are an interactive blast from the past.

Mar 26, 2015, 2:47 AM
1

While it might not have a reputation as well-known as Chicago or New York, New Zealand is pretty ubiquitous in being the setting for these movies.

Food & Drink

+
Apr 21, 2015, 10:56 PM
1

Columbia alumni Katerina Vorotova, CC ’07, and David Foult, SIPA ’14, created Try The World, a bimonthly food subscription service that delivers a box featuring food from a different country with each installment. This month’s box features Morocco.

Apr 9, 2015, 3:25 AM

Uruguayan restaurant Charrúa serves up hearty fare sure to please all kinds of carnivores.

Apr 9, 2015, 3:43 AM

Bar Sardine’s new brunch menu is the perfect excuse to visit the West Village on a weekend morning. The restaurant’s new offerings keep the focus on food, while consistently delivering on quality service.

Feb 26, 2015, 1:15 AM

Morgenstern’s Finest Ice Cream’s "Brutal Breakfast" menu is surprisingly light and refreshing.

Music

+
Apr 23, 2015, 2:43 AM

Tyler, the Creator’s new album reflects his recent disillusionment, but also includes retro themes and features Kanye West and Lil Wayne.

Apr 9, 2015, 3:36 AM

After starting out as a classical musician playing at Carnegie Hall, then becoming a member of Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeroes, Odessa is now launching her solo career as a singer-songwriter finding the balance between electric folk and pop.

Apr 9, 2015, 3:41 AM

Shlohmo brings us a new album, stripping down his old style for something that, while interesting, doesn’t create a complete feel.

Apr 9, 2015, 3:46 AM

Matt and Kim’s "New Glow" marks a move toward a poppier, more experimental sound.

Style

+
Feb 18, 2015, 3:14 AM
3

Elaborate light shows, stage design, and a diverse range of performers come to Roone Arledge Auditorium this Saturday with the 2015 Lunar Gala fashion show.

Oct 30, 2014, 12:42 AM

A lecture and workshop at the Morbid Anatomy Museum is looking to revive a long-dead (but still preserved) trend.

Oct 17, 2014, 1:39 AM

Alpha Chi Omega's first annual Runway Warriors fashion show premiers in Lerner Party Space this Saturday.

Oct 16, 2014, 5:18 AM

The Italian jeweler looks back on its creator’s legacy.

Television

+
Apr 16, 2015, 3:51 AM
2

Comedian Grace Parra, CC'06, spoke with Spectator about her experiences in comedy and improv, what drew her to talk show hosting, and the lack of diversity in late night television.

Jan 29, 2015, 3:05 AM

Brooks Wheelan has covered a lot of ground in the past year and a half. The Iowa native and comedian leapt from working a job at a biomedical engineering lab in Los Angeles into a gig across the country, writing and performing on the 39th season of “Saturday Night Live” (“SNL”).

Oct 16, 2014, 4:29 AM

The annual New York Television Festival provides independent creators with a chance to produce meaningful content that candidly examines life in the 21st century.

Oct 2, 2014, 6:00 AM

At the center of Fox’s “Gracepoint,” are two detectives working to solve the death of a young boy. 

Theater

+
Apr 23, 2015, 2:40 AM

While the choreography and set are visually appealing, the play falls short at fully portraying the intricacies of life in post-WWII Paris.

Apr 16, 2015, 3:42 AM

The Royal Shakespeare Company's production of Hilary Mantel's award-winning novels effectively translates the rich plot for the stage.

Apr 13, 2015, 10:46 PM
11

Former Varsity Show cast members have been performing a collection of songs from previous scripts for this year’s Days on Campus visiting weekends, straying from the performance group’s long-standing tradition of staging the first act of its upcoming show.

Apr 9, 2015, 3:32 AM

Columbia alumna Jenny Schwartz talks about her journey from directing to play writing and about her recent play, Iowa.