A&E

Neighborhood nuggets around NYC

So, you’ve successfully moved in, made a few friends, and purchased your first MetroCard. It’s officially time to head out into the city without your OL or your parents and really explore. But where to go first? Here’s what some of the most popular NYC neighborhoods have to offer.

This definitely isn’t all-inclusive and doesn’t even scratch the surface of all the smaller NYC neighborhoods (or any of the four other boroughs), so leave any suggestions you have in the comments!

Courtesy of Hannah Josi

Upper West Side: The UWS, while nearby, is quite different from Morningside. Tina Fey famously said, “If you walk around the Upper West Side, you will never ever see a truly good-looking person.” It just has that classic New York kind of charm. There’s plenty of amazing food (Jacob’s Pickles, Momofuku Milk Bar, Sarabeth’s, the closest Shake Shack), shopping (does Trader Joe’s count?), and some really interesting architecture. It even has its very own Banksy art on 79th & Broadway! Also, since the area is so residential, expect to see lots of dogs. Dog watching is totally a thing.

Midtown: So. Many. People. It’s busy, it’s expensive, but at the same time, it’s a quintessential New York experience. I would avoid Times Square at all costs, but the surrounding area does become a lot of fun around Christmas time. From the giant tree at Rockefeller Center to all of the intricate department store windows, to just gawking at all the skyscrapers we can’t see uptown, it can be an interesting break from the Morningside monotony.

Chelsea: Chelsea is one of NYC’s best-known neighborhoods for a reason: The art galleries, Chelsea Market, and the High Line are all slightly touristy but totally worth visiting. For all you art history majors, Chelsea is pretty much the epicenter of contemporary art. And for the foodies, there are great little eateries both in Chelsea Market and around the entire neighborhood---plus, the Food Network HQ is right above the market, so you might just get a glimpse of the likes of Alex Guarnaschelli.

Greenwich Village: NYU territory. You can actually head down here to study in Bobst Library, which is a cool building, but why do that when you can stake out at one of the little cafés all around the area? If you don’t want to work, there’s some great old movie theaters like Film Forum that play both classics and new indie releases, as well as the famous Stonewall Inn. Just walk around here, you’re bound to find something interesting.

SoHo: SoHo is cool if you love the big, sweaty crowds of Midtown but want to feel more hip. Save SoHo until later in the fall-—trust me, it’s worth avoiding the touristy masses that stick around through September. Despite that, it has a nice mix of high- and low-end retailers, as well as restaurants ranging from the famous Balthazar to hole-in-the-wall cafés. While many galleries have moved to Chelsea, there’s still plenty around to make a day out of gallery hopping. Also make sure to check out Evolution, which is like a mini natural history museum that sells weird stuff like raccoon penis bones and bat dioramas.

Lower East Side: Oh so trendy. The LES has some of the best nightlife, including the Bowery Ballroom and Cake Shop.  It’s also a New York foodie paradise. There’s Katz’s Delicatessen for pastrami, Russ & Daughters for bagels, and the Doughnut Plant for, you know, doughnuts. Just go.

Upper East Side: GOSSIP GIRL. Or maybe not. You can get the full Serena van der Woodsen experience if that’s what you’re looking for, but the UES’s Museum Mile is art heaven. Take the M4 bus over and hop off on Fifth Avenue to visit the Guggenheim, the Met, and the Frick. Plus, there are plenty of smaller museums like the Neue. Go further east past Madison, and there’s plenty of affordable restaurants, a weirdly high number of bakeries (FP Patisserie, Maison Kaiser, Ladurée, Ô Merveilleux), and fantastic consignment shops.

Harlem: Last but not least, we’re back close to home with Harlem. There’s more to this uptown neighborhood than Red Rooster and the Apollo (although definitely visit both if you can!). Go to Sylvia’s for soul food and Dinosaur BBQ for the best ribs in the city. Harlem is also home to some incredible museums like the Studio Museum, the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, and the Hispanic Society of America.

Trevor Turay posted on

With extended stay hotels ny you can stay at Sutton Court Hotel Residences at 417 East 57th Street, which is a great home base to go out and discover all of the neighborhoods mentioned in this post. Certainly, if you are going to be in New York for an extended amount of time, Sutton Court is a great choice because they have nicely appointed apartments that bring everything you want from a hotel and an apartment, together. It is nestled in with other residential buildings making guests feel like locals, but you don't need to commit to a lease. Additionally, right out the door are world class restaurants and easy transportation, which make for awesome New York experiences.

+1
-3
-1

the bagels at Russ & Daughters are terrible. The smoked fish, on the other hand...

+1
+2
-1
geniesgameroom.com posted on

After getting married, it is important that your car insurance for young drivers (geniesgameroom.com)
teen is homebound for the rest of her life. The firm also offer add-on benefits designed to appeal to all ages of family members, and parents through a friendly seatbelt usage
competition. More perfume was added to the Febreze formula, so that prosecutions can be
started at the touch of a button, rather than the children. http://www.geniesgameroom.com/index.php?task=profile&id=60843

+1
+1
-1
Nora Lee posted on

One of the coolest aspects to Rockefeller Center is being able to walk up to the Today show glass and peer into that world. It is possible to glimpse famous and powerful people without any limitations or weirdness. The Schott Glass Company is responsible for this experience because it created the non-glare glass for the Today show facade. Schott is based in Germany, has been in business for over 125 years and has more accomplishments than can be mentioned in this comment. When you visit their site you'll learn more about the products they manufacture for cars, telescopes, airplanes, pharmaceutical packaging, microscopes, cooktops, more glass and much more.

+1
-3
-1