2875 Broadway

Welcome to the new Spectrum

Updated: Aug. 27 at 9:40 a.m.

Spectrum has a new look.

A summer-long makeover has left Spectrum not only wider, sleeker, and generally better-looking, but also better organized and more dynamic than before.

Beneath its new aesthetic, the blog that never sleeps now has functionalities that will allow it to better serve its readers. Spectrum integrates seamlessly with the rest of the Columbia Daily Spectator website, can feature multimedia elements more prominently, and is optimized for mobile and tablet.

Last spring we announced that the Columbia Daily Spectator was headed in a new direction. We said we were going to focus more energy on our journalism and on our digital products. The new Spectrum will help us achieve both of those goals.

The content of our blog will stay the same, but what is changing is the way we present that content to you. On the new Spectrum, you’ll see:

A reimagined logo: The new logo for our blog includes colors from all across the spectrum (see, we’re still making bad puns!). You’ll find the colored boxes that comprise the logo to be a theme throughout the site’s new design. With this new logo, we hope you’ll more easily recognize Spectrum when you see it, and that you’ll appreciate the pop of color on the page.

New categories: Spectrum has a new set of seven categories to organize its content: Campus, City, Opinion, The Shaft (our famous housing blog), A&E, Sports, and 2875 Broadway (posts about what’s going on inside Spectator, like this one). This new organization of content sheds unnecessary segmentation and will help readers quickly find the content they want to read the most.

Wider pages: The new design of our site has done away with the narrow, constricting look of old Spectrum and introduced full-width pages. This means we can display larger images in our posts, embed larger videos and graphics, and—most importantly—not force you to scroll for miles to get the information you want.

More multimedia: Along with our redesign, we’ve hired a staff member to create videos specifically for Spectrum. The site can easily display videos, GIFs, photos, and more—and we plan to make use of all those media to tell stories this year. As an example, here’s this throwback to Spectrum’s early days.

As you might guess, all these changes took weeks of planning and work on the part of many Speccies. In particular, lead web developers Albert Cui and Karen Nan carried the brunt of the redesign effort, with support from design editor Alanna Browdy and web development deputy Smita Patankar, and invaluable input from Spectrum editor Mihika Barua.

But our Spectrum experience isn’t complete without you. We would love your feedback on these new changes. If you think the new Spectrum is great, if you hate the new look, or if you find a bug that we missed, let us know in the comments section or in an email. Just remember that we’re still ironing out the kinks, so go easy with the anonymous commenting.

You can always reach us at editor@columbiaspectator.com, and if you want to contact Spectrum editor Mihika Barua, you can do so at spectrum@columbiaspectator.com.

And if you want to be a part of Spectator’s other redesign work and web development efforts, we’re looking to expand our staff of developers and designers this fall. No prior experience is necessary, so please email us at join@columbiaspectator.com if you’re interested.

Can you please make it one click to get back to Spec's homepage, rather than two? Maybe have the Spectator logo up top somewhere, in addition to the Spectrum one?

Other than that, I like the new look. Nice work, everyone!

+1
+12
-1

When the browser window is narrow, all of the sharing buttons are in the way of the content.

+1
+4
-1

+1
-2
-1

I seriously can't see the links most of the time

+1
0
-1
Columbia Spectator's picture
Columbia Spectator posted on

We've adjusted the links in article body text so that they stand out.

Thanks for the feedback — that's to all commenters on this post so far.

+1
+1
-1
zdxhdsjhi posted on

锘縒ith some of the things he was doing for a guy his size, the elder Brown said. Just told him, not let anybody tell you because you are a big kid that you can do anything. Troubles forced the younger Brown to leave after his sophomore season at Todd Beamer High School.

The initial purchase price for the MSN TV 2 player is $199.90 (it's available from eBay for less Red Bottom Shoes than Christian Louboutin Shoes $100) and the MSN TV subscription service costs $9.95/month or $99.95/year if you already have broadband Internet access. There's also a dial up option but it may not be all that satisfying for general Web browsing due to the download speed. A subscription is mandatory.

For the 4 years prior to joining Facebook, Mr. Dawson worked for Jumpstart Automotive Group (a premium automotive ad network that exclusively represents 14 of Christian Louboutin Shoes the top endemic sites), where he ran the marketing department and headed up the product development team. Before Jumpstart, he spent nearly 10 years on the client side at Mercedes Benz USA where he learned the ins and outs of the auto industry (in various marketing and PR capacities)..

Free entry. Long running quiz night hosted by Easi Discos. Meal vouchers for winner and runner up.Holburn Bar, 225 Holburn Street. In October 2000, Entrepreneur magazine listed metropolitan Charlotte as fifth on their ranking of the 20 Large Cities to own a business. As the subsidiary headquarters for a variety of major national companies, its urban region continues to attract sophisticated industries such as microelectronics, metal working, and vehicle assembly, as well as research and development, high technology and service oriented international and domestic firms. Charlotte boasted 286 Fortune 500 firms in 2004 within its city limits along with 1,200 manufacturing companies..

The Pacers first coach, Larry Staveman, only lasted nine games into his second season in 1968 69 when Leonard was hired. He was coming off two unsuccessful seasons coaching in the NBA five years before but led the Pacers to a first place finish in the East conference. The following season, the Pacers won their first of three ABA titles in a span of four years..

Forty five years ago, Jerry Van Dyke starred in My Mother the Car, a show widely regarded as one of the worst of all time. Note that Christian Louboutin Outlet "car" isn't some sort of term for fat people that fell out of use. His mother in the show was actually a car. St Gelais began her crazy day by being taken out by Dutch skater Jorien ter Mors in the 1,000 metre heats at the Iceberg Skating Palace and, for whatever reason, ter Mors, who made contact with St Gelais from behind, wasn penalized. St Gelais got up and finished, but placed fourth and failed to qualify for the quarter finals. Ter Mors, meanwhile, moved on to the quarters..

+1
0
-1
qktywcsdt posted on

锘縎coring 23 or more points in three of the four quarters at the Proviso West Holiday Tournament Monday in Hillside, the Saints advanced to the consolation championship with their 88 77 victory. St. Today.. The all time leading scorer of the Cleveland Cavaliers, James is not just one of NBA's leading players but also the youngest player to win the Rookie of the Year Award. In 2005, he became the youngest player to score more than 50 points in one game. Nicknamed as 'King James', he has so far won two NBA championships, four NBA MVP Awards and two NBA Finals MVP Awards.

Dividing the blogs up had a kind of professional and business rationale, but I think it hurts the quality of the editorial product which is best served up as a unified entity. It'll also make the work more manageable for me. The new site's RSS feed is here.

Eric is very knowledgeable in the subject area. Thank you!Austin, TXHi John, Thank you for your expertise and, more important, for your kindness because they make me, almost, look forward to my next computer problem. After the next problem comes, I'll be delighted to correspond again with you.

"Oh, now that's a problem," says the ACR's Red Bottom Shoes Morin, who explains that yes, you do absorb radiation from the sun, but it's ultraviolet radiation, which is very different from the electromagnetic radiation emitted by x rays or CT scans. UV light damages your skin, while electromagnetic radiation goes through to your internal organs. Right now, the FDA regulates the manufacture of CT machines, but it's up to the states to set rules for how doctors use them..

04/08/2014 09:43 AM CDT This is written with the Christian Louboutin Shoes great risk that we might not even be here today, Sunday, April 6, so dire is the winter storm prediction for possibly the greatest amount of April snow in the metro since 1983. The "since" in weather stories is always a welcome relief. When there is a "since," Christian Louboutin Shoes we learn that there isn't much new in nature, at least in our lifetime or the lifetimes of our parents and grandparents..

What else was shared prior to radios and televisions is the weather will change, there will be Christian Louboutin Shoes holes in the sky, the poles will shift and another ice age will come. Considering the time frame has happened accept one the up coming ice age. This is when mother earth will re balance all the damage being done to her, it will be put back into natural order the way it was always meant to be..

The investigation itself climaxed in October 1960 in New York City, when FBN agents busted Rosal, Tarditi, TWA purser Charles Bourbonnais, and Nick Calamaris of the Gambino Mafia family. Rosal was arrested Oct. 3, 1960; an article appeared on the front page of the Daily News on Oct.

+1
0
-1
azdbadxkc posted on

锘縄 could write entire paragraphs on tommy Thompson's extracurricular activities as well as those of pseudo walker admin. Safe to say these mostly involved young staffers. Reminds me of the scene in Harold and Maude when Harold's uncle the priest try's to talk Harold out of marrying octogenarian Maude.

I need a bottom that comes up high enough to hide my pouch, and a top big and supportive enough to handle my 38DDDs. That made for slim pickings. Also, I'm not, like, 16 years old, so there's that, also.. Canton took control in the first part of the second quarter. The Lady Golden Bears saw their largest lead of the game Christian Louboutin Red Bottom Evening Buy Snakeskin Grain Orange Spiked at 28 22. Tamarac responded, scoring 10 unanswered to end the period and take four point lead into Christian Louboutin Outlet the locker room.

The "Good Calories Bad Calories" book did it for me. I believe, no one else Red Bottom Shoes has to, and I won't try to change your beliefs, but I believe that yes we have been fed a bunch or mumbo jumbo when it comes to what the "food pyramid" should be and that studies have not seen the light of day that would make a difference. According to this book, we have a number of hormones but only one, insulin, stores fat on the body.

His batting was based around the forward defensive, and he made the second longest Test duck against New Zealand in 1999 his final international appearance. Such played under four England captains in 11 Tests. He was released by Essex at the end of 2001 and played one season for Cambridgeshire..

What a way to shame your uniform. What a way to convince the public you are petty, power hungry, mean spirited bullies with no real work to do protecting the community, instead choosing to be a Christian Louboutin Outlet keyboard warrior, aka coward. Signed, someone who has worked in corrections for 19 years..

Now that the "who's coming" is all worked out, it's time to make the plan. Where do you get together? There are many options that are appropriate for the first meeting, like dinner at your favorite sushi spot or brunch at the new Italian restaurant. How about an NBA or NFL game? Or appetizers and dessert at your place featuring a recipe you whipped up from one of Rachael Ray's books? If you don't want to spend a lot of time together for the first meeting, make it short and sweet.

Part of the problem is that even on a site like Cracked, which runs longer pieces, you only have a finite time to reach a reader. There is a balance between making a point and explaining every conceivable counterpoint. Still, despite my strong opinions, I usually recognize exceptions to every rule and often couple my damnation with qualifying statements.

+1
0
-1
cheap ugg boots posted on

corporations not necessarily previously used to coverage such statistic, But it helps make durability purpose as well outlays see-through,
cheap ugg boots http://health-enhancement-products.com/project-updates/?alt_id=924ed

+1
0
-1