New global print queue for campus printers

• New NINJa | The NINJa printing system's new UI.

Updated Aug. 22, 10:31 p.m. As part of the recent modernization wave that began with Housing Flexing its muscles, more changes are a-comin’. Columbia University Information Technology has introduced a new user interface to the NINJa printing system, with a global print queue (explained below), making access to a working printer much easier. Spec reported on the proposed changes in February.

A global print queue allows a printing job sent to one printer to be automatically available on any campus printer. This means that long lines in the Butler computer lab might not look as bad anymore, because you can hop across to Lerner (or Carman, or Broadway... oh, the choices!) to print out that 10-page paper before you sprint to class. At last, the printing system says goodbye to monogamy. The global print queue would also isolate individual students' printing queues, by allowing you to save 20 seconds of your life and log into the printing station instead of selecting your printing job from a long list of UNIs and Print@CU pseudonyms. No more confusing your print job with the other Daenerys Targaryen.

What does this mean for the Spec-owned Print@CU? Spec has met with CUIT about the changes to the NINJa printing system, and CUIT will be working with Spec developers over the next week to update Print@CU so that it can accommodate the new system. Users will have to input their UNIs when they send a job to print, and once that change is made, Print@CU will work just the same.

We have reached out to CUIT and will update when we hear back. For now, prepare to reassess your hate-hate relationship with the Columbia printers this fall.

Update: In an email to Spec, CUIT explained that printing from non-CUIT computers will work similarly under the new system: If students haven't already, they have to configure their computers to print to NINJa printers. Students who configured their computers to the old NINJa system won't have to do that.

Additionally, students who want access to the full array of new NINJa features have to use accounts named after their UNIs. This part is a bit troublesome, because it will mean creating a new account on your computer. Merely renaming your account won't work. (If you're working on an account that is not your UNI, you can still print to a NINJa printer, but you will not have the extra features.)

CUIT also said it will be sending an email to all Morningside students soon. An introduction to the new NINJa system is also posted on the CUIT website. Read the email from CUIT below, and let's all hope this means our long national printing nightmare is over:

For returning students, their computer will not need to be changed at all to achieve basic printing, similar to how the old NINJa system worked.

A new student will need to follow the steps on our website on how to install a NINJa printer station and driver on their machine to print to our system. The steps are very similar to how a new student would have had to add a printer prior to the upgrade.

In order for students to take advantage of the newer features available on the upgraded NINJa system, they will have to create and work from a local user account on their laptop that matches their UNI. For example, if their UNI is crf2195, they will have to add crf2195 as an account on their laptop and work from that account in order to take advantage of the increased security, “internal cloud” printing (the ability to print from any NINJa printer on the new system), and access from within NINJa to up-to-date quota information. Having these features tied to the UNI protects students’ documents in the print queue from other users.

We will be writing to all Morningside students in the next few days, with more detailed instructions on setting up for and using the new service.

Correction: An earlier version of the post said that the students printing to a NINJa printer "have to" create a new account named after their UNI. The post has been corrected to reflect that printing to a NINJa printer is possible without creating a new account. 

nike roshe run pas cher posted on

py, line 134, in opendialogJun 24 14:33:16 ubuntu ubiquity13953: self.errorhandlerJun 24 14:33:16 ubuntu ubiquity13953: File usrlibubiquityubiquitypartedserver.Tient nous au courant en postant tes logs que tu récolteras, merci et a toute a lheuresalutAlors ca dit quoi tu ten sort ou pas@ touteBonjour, jai windows7 et 2 disques durs : un de 750 Go et un tout récent de 1 To .
nike roshe run pas cher http://www.lamaisondugolf.fr/

+1
0
-1
roshe run femme posted on

3522 genericUbuntu With linux 2.3522 generic recovery mode je crois avoir lu de démarrer ici que en cas de souciMemorytest memtest 86+Memorytest memtest 86+ serial console 115200Window sda1 je ne sais plus trop, bref cest pour démarrer Wind
roshe run femme http://www.lamaisondugolf.fr/

+1
0
-1
babyliss posted on

Donc effectivement comme les partitions logiques doivent être contigues on ne peut rein faire de lespace libre.Il y a quand même une solution.listsudo password for jeanpierre: jeanpierre@jeanpierreH67AUD3HB3:~$ Mais cela na rien déclenché.Si vous trouvez autre chose, je suis tout ouïe !
babyliss http://curlsecret-babyliss.tumblr.com/

+1
0
-1
nike air force 1 pas cher posted on

Tout ça pour en venir aux questions suivantes : sachant que ce nest pas mon PC et que je voudrais éviter à la personne q
nike air force 1 pas cher http://www.silversenior.fr/

+1
0
-1
converse all star pas cher posted on

Tu branches ton ethernet et tu reviens nous voirEn fait là je suis au sommaire de Ubuntu et je ne sais pas trop quelle option choisir pour démarrer sur le cd, ça me dit Démarrer Ubuntu, Démarrer Ubuntu en mode graphique sans échec, etc.Déma
converse all star pas cher http://www.reportagesphoto-immobilier.fr/

+1
0
-1
nike roshe run femme posted on

Alors sauve tout le contenu de ton home comme ça si tu réinstalle tout et que tu garde le même mot de passe il te suffir
nike roshe run femme http://www.nevousindignezpas.fr/

+1
0
-1