List of 'sexual assault violators' written in Hamilton, Lerner, Butler bathrooms

Update: May 13 at 6:10 p.m.
In response to questions about the various lists over the past few days, a University spokesman sent the following statement to Spectator:

"To avoid chilling complainants from coming forward and to respect all parties involved, the University does not comment on the particulars of disciplinary proceedings regarding sexual misconduct. In addition, the University is mindful of the multiple federal laws that govern these matters and provide important protections to survivors of sexual violence and to students engaged in our investigative process. These laws and our constitutional values do not permit us to silence debate on the difficult issues being discussed."

Spectator received an anonymous tip on May 7 that someone had written a list of alleged "sexual assault violators on campus" in the women's bathroom on the fifth floor of Hamilton.

The photos, which you can check out after the jump, show a list of four students' names. The names were each written in different handwriting styles, suggesting multiple authors. It is unclear whether the four named individuals were actually perpetrators of sexual assault, and if any sort of action has been or is being taken against them. Therefore, Spectator has blacked out the names in the photos.

Photo of names taken in Hamilton fifth floor bathroom

The names were wiped away before Spectator could look at them in person. According to a University spokesperson, the University was made aware of the "graffiti" and facilities removed the list. As The Lion pointed out, the use of the word "graffiti" by University officials could be notable in that the University Rules of Conduct include a clause about "minor property damages" and New York state law has provisions for consequences for graffiti. The Lion post also says that the list was up for less than 24 hours before being removed.

The University spokesman declined to comment about any of the students on the list or whether there had been sanctions leveled against them. However, according to multiple anonymous sources, at least one person on the list was found responsible by the University for gender-based misconduct and is still on campus.

Update: May 12, 6:20 p.m.
Spectator received another tip late Monday afternoon with an image of a similar list, this time in a stall in the second-floor women's bathroom in Lerner Hall. The list contains the same four names as the Hamilton one, but is titled "Rapists on Campus." All names were written in the same style this time, suggesting one author. For the same reasons as stated above, Spectator has chosen to black out the names again. See below for the photo:

Photo taken of names in Lerner bathroom

Update: May 12, 6:42 p.m.
When we went to check the list again for ourselves, it had already been wiped away. Spectator has reached out to the University for comment and will update when we hear back.

Update: May 13, 2:45 p.m.
Bwog reported Tuesday morning that two more lists had been written in the second-floor women's bathroom and the fourth-floor women's bathroom of Butler Library. Bwog reported that Public Safety had closed off the bathrooms with the lists.

Update: May 13, 3:12 p.m.
Spectator received several tips Tuesday afternoon that flyers with the same list of names were placed in bathrooms in Butler. One photo below was taken in the second-floor women's bathroom near 209. The second was taken in another bathroom in Butler. As of this post, the bathrooms where these lists were posted are open, and it is unclear how many bathrooms received the flyers.

List found in Butler
Butler list
Butler sixth floor

Update: 3:27 p.m.
Flyers have also been found in Lerner in the second-floor bathroom where the list was written yesterday afternoon.

If you have information about these lists or have seen others around campus, let us know by emailing tips@columbiaspectator.com.

thereAREresources posted on

http://titleix.columbia.edu/

The "Sexual Respect" website's HOMEPAGE has a link that says FILE A REPORT. Do the right and honest thing for yourself and the person who violated you (who probably needs some help too) and go through the school system. It used to sucks serious balls. It doesn't anymore. I was very nearly raped on campus because a security guard forced me to walk my drunk ass friend to his room. I only walked away because I punched him in the face. I tried to go through Columbia's system and got nowhere. I went through Barnard's and it was taken care of. He got the resources and so did I because I WENT THROUGH the school system. Now that the policy is improved on a University level, these lists are even bigger bullshit.

+1
-1
-1
Concerned posted on

The libel and/or slander suits are sure to follow in fall or later. Once a civil court finds for the plaintiff, the whole situation now moves to the absurd. If the victim will not or cannot file a complaint with law enforcement, the schools will quickly stop playing an active role here. Once the school loses a civil case, taking the alleged crime to an non-judicial entity will stop, maybe very fast.

Schools are not for criminal cases, criminal courts are.

This is a very slippery slope.

+1
0
-1
Nicole posted on

Libel can only be proved if what is written is NOT true. If these young men are known to take sexual advantage of young women, then it is true, therefore, no libel exists.

And victims can, and should, ALWAYS file a complaint with law enforcement as well as filing a complaint with the school. Too often, young women go to their campus security office or file a report with the administration, and are discouraged from filing a criminal complaint with police. They are often lied to about how thorough an investigation by the campus will be. And more to the point, COMPLAINTS/REPORTS MADE TO ADMINISTRATION ARE NOT CRIMINAL COMPLAINTS, and do not have the same consequences for the accused, even if proven.

So, a guy is found to be guilty of rape by the school. It's rare that a school then turns over their findings to the District Attorney, because they don't want the school's image to suffer. The worst they will do is kick the guy out of school. He can then move to another school and continue to assault a new group of women.

Ladies, if you are raped, call the police first. Provide police a complete report, and get a rape kit performed. Don't shower first, don't clean yourself up. Call the cops. After collection of evidence occurs, only then should you clean yourself up, even shower, etc. Provide the school a copy of your police report from which they can conduct their internal investigation. This is the best way to get justice for yourself and others who have been victimized, and to prevent other women from suffering the same fate as you.

The filing of a police report under the conditions described, above, should help counter the possibility of people blaming the victim, or thinking she is lying. It may be that filing a report with administration can be viewed as not legitimate, maybe it's payback, maybe it's a girl who got jilted, whatever. Going to the cops with the evidence on your body prevents such conclusions by others.

+1
+6
-1
CC 14 posted on

it's not a criminal act to post about a criminal act...

+1
+4
-1

The problem with crying "innocent until proven guilty" and claiming that until Columbia itself finds fault, these men are innocent is that so many of these girls have gone straight to Columbia and their reports have been dismissed. Just because the system refuses to recognize fault doesn't mean these guys aren't guilty (CLEARLY), and many believe the only way of reforming that system is by doing something themselves to protect each other and rally around. That's not a witch hunt, it's a revolution, and it's progress.

+1
+5
-1
This posted on

is not ok!

+1
-3
-1

When unclear, the benefit of the doubt should be given to the lady, hence their rightful ability to post the names on the wall. If the guy wants to sue then so be it. Disclosure makes men more careful in who they choose as partners, which is the type of slow down in sexual behavior all reasonable people want to see in this college setting.

+1
+5
-1

It's kind of telling that you assume both that rape victims are female and that the alleged rapists were male.

+1
-7
-1
colbey posted on

the commenter just didn't take the time to write it out in such a way that readers would be reminded that men do get raped, and that women do rape. instead, the commenter wrote it with the well-known and extremely high percentages of male/female and rapist/victim in mind. more likely, the commenter had in mind the particulars of this article.

however, your reaction to it is what is "kind of telling." either you are a "non-conventional" victim, or you are...looking to dilute this issue (campus male-on-female rape) so it loses effectiveness.

+1
+3
-1
Yeah WOW posted on

Whoever did this is seriously messed up and has no respect for privacy. Seriously, defacing public property to publicly shame people who may or may not even be guilty for whatever they've been accused of is absolutely despicable. Remember, these are people here, not monsters for you to parade around. I'm glad this vandalism was erased before it had any worse repercussions.

+1
-10
-1
John from ABC News posted on

Dear Yeah WOW - I'm a producer for ABC News....interested in speaking with you....you can reach me at John.T.Santucci@abc.com much appreciated - John

+1
-2
-1

You must be one of the accused rapist or a friend of an accused rapist to be so concerned about public property when the men are accused of forcibly, painfully attacking these woman. This kind of public awareness wouldn't have been done the way it was done if the University did what they were suppose to do and support victims of sexual assault rather than making them feel like total dog shit! Get a fucking life you!

+1
-1
-1
Please posted on

Don't support witch hunts, obviously. On a different note, however, can someone tell me the name of at least one Columbia student that has been proved guilty of rape? I mean...there has to be a list of the real rapists...right?

+1
-2
-1

"the real rapists?" why is everyone so quick to believe the accused attackers are innocent and these girls are lying? do you think multiple girls would all accuse the same guy of rape just for kicks?

+1
+1
-1

There has not ben any proved rapes.

+1
-3
-1
colbey posted on

which is very, very telling. and should be a huge "clue" to everyone that something is very wrong with the campus "judicial" system.

+1
+2
-1
USA posted on

Innocent until proven guilty. False accusations can ruin lives.

+1
-3
-1
sympathetic to anger posted on

these would be false accusations if someone from the university administration had written the names. the university had no problem allowing five students to be publicly arrested in 2010 on drug charges. I assume that whoever wrote on the lists were students, challenging the school's failed legal process (which John, below, spells out well.)

+1
+1
-1
ok posted on

but consent is perpetual - it's not a one time only thing. you're not a rapist if you make sure that they want to have sex before you engage. and if your partner is unenthused, ask why, and try to make them enthused, rather than continuing.

+1
-1
-1
mr. mildly unattractive posted on

And oh yeah... the people who scribbled in the stalls are fascists.

+1
-4
-1
mr. mildly unattractive posted on

"enthusiastic"???? If my partner must be continuously "enthusiastic" I am also a serial rapist. Im not sure ive ever been with anyone who remained continuously enthusiastic. I am an ill-equipped romantic partner and the enthusiasm wanes predictably... does that mean i need to stop in the middle?

+1
-3
-1
SEAS 15 posted on

Yeah WOW I'm 100% with you. These posters are no good, neither to the alleged offenders, nor to the supposed victims of such assaults. It can ruin lives, and the behavior of the people posting these names on a public domain should be punished.

+1
-3
-1
Chunk posted on

Y Wow you are wrong. They are monsters. They deserve much more than this.

+1
-1
-1
Yeah WOW posted on

As someone who is friends with a girl who has been accused of sexual assault on campus, and whose name could very well be on this list, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Until these people have been tried and convicted as guilty, they are innocent, just as my friend is. You have no idea the emotional toll being wrongfully accused takes on an individual. And yes, as someone who has been sexually abused and assaulted in the past, I am aware it is also emotionally draining on the other end. But you absolutely have no right to call potentially innocent people monsters or deprive them of their basic rights in trial.

+1
0
-1

Next is going to be a defamation lawsuit against the writers.

+1
-2
-1
Boo posted on

The writers are unknown. Who you gonna sue??

+1
-1
-1

Becasue its embarassing (and a criminal act.)

+1
-3
-1
@CC '14 posted on

however, an introductory law class would show that unless these people are proven guilty by a court of law, writing something like this is called libel, which is ILLEGAL! Unless, of course, these students are in public eye (celebrities) in which case it is not. Yes, there needs to be something done at CU, but it is not posting lists around campus. No matter how despicable the acts, everyone deserves their day in court AND a fair trail, not a trail by public. Also is the people on the list were to go to trial these lists could become highly problematic for the plaintiff. Also bwog didnt post this list for legal reasons.

+1
-3
-1

the lion and spec have posted on this but not bwog...?

+1
-1
-1
John posted on

Why are universities in charge of rape investigations anyway ? A university investigating an allegation of rape is like a church investigation an allegation of rape: these are allegations of crimes. Universities, like churches, may have conflicts of interest in investigating allegations of rape: in both cases they have business interests in the perception of providing safe environments. Universities, churches, any institutions should not be in charge of investigating allegations of raper -period. Such investigations be conducted by outside law enforcement -always.

+1
+3
-1