Sports

Sports viewing picks: Game 7 edition

In the sports lexicon, ‘Game 7’ is synonymous with ‘winner-take-all.’ There are a bunch of Game 7s and Game 7 facsimiles this weekend.

Columbia baseball

At Penn. Saturday, 1 p.m., Philadelphia.

Since Columbia and Penn are tied in the division standings, per Ivy League rules, they need to play a one-game playoff to determine which team goes to the Ivy League Championship Series (to face the winner of the one-game playoff between Yale and Dartmouth). The Quakers get to host because of a tiebreaker.

If you’re DTG—down to go (which only differs from DTF by one letter!)—there’s an Athletics-provided fan bus leaving Columbia at 10 a.m. and returning right after the game. Limited spots available, unfortunately. (You can reserve a spot here.)

Pro basketball

Atlanta at Indiana, Game 7. Saturday, 5:30 p.m., TNT

Memphis at Oklahoma City, Game 7. Saturday, 8 p.m., TNT

Golden State at Los Angeles Clippers, Game 7. Saturday, 10:30 p.m., TNT

The NHL had three Game 7s on Wednesday, but the NBA takes the cake here with a Game 7 tripleheader. First, Atlanta will try to knock off the Pacers, the only team with a chance in hell of taking down two-time defending NBA champion Miami before the NBA Finals. In the second game, Memphis tries to knock out popular title pick Oklahoma City for the second year in a row. In the (late) nightcap, it’s two contrasting teams going at it: One is a terrific outside shooting offense, and the other is the artist formerly known as "Lob City."

Triple Crown (horse racing)

Kentucky Derby. Saturday, 6:24 p.m., NBC

It’s called “the most exciting two minutes in sports.” The first race of what is known as the Triple Crown, it’s been a long time since a single horse won the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont Stakes. Every year, around this time, sports networks spend days trying to predict the horse likeliest to finally pull it off.

Days. In the middle of playoff season.

I guess it’s not really surprising that most people the networks try to interview at the Derby are stoned and/or wasted and/or betting on horses (or talking about it). What else is there to do?

Luckily, with TVs, all you need to do is tune in around 6:20 and wait a few minutes.