If any group of people at Columbia could figure out a way to blow out 150 candles in one breath, it would be the engineers at the School of Engineering and Applied Science.
SEAS has come a long way since the School of Mines opened in 1864 with three faculty, 13 students, and a brick building on 49th Street. There were high points and lows—moments when according to some, the school almost ceased to exist. But today, SEAS looks toward the future with nearly 2,000 faculty, 4,500 students, and a home on 120th Street.
We sought out past deans, alumni, prominent faculty, and students from a time long-forgotten to piece together the story of how SEAS arrived at where it is today, and where it hopes to go in the future.