Neighborhood Watch

Spectator Senior Staff Writer

Especially after spring break, when everything feels like it’s been thrown into high gear, it can be hard to break out of the Columbia bubble. But it’s always nice to ride the subway a couple stops and explore the immediate area. In this week’s subway stop edition of Neighborhood Watch, we explore the area around the 86th Street stop on the 1 train. Seating is assigned.

86th Street stop

Locations
P

AMC Loews 84th Street 6

Gothamist once called this movie theater the worst in Manhattan—and having seen a couple movies there, I can attest to that. But since its renovation last fall, this has quickly become the best place to watch a movie besides a private screening room (probably­­—I’m not an Obama so I don’t know). Every seat is made of red leather and reclines so you can watch “The Grand Budapest Hotel” in the most comfortable position. 

2310 Broadway
New York, NY 10024

The Dead Poet

Once you’re done with your movie or your meal and you’re feeling like a drink, head on down to the Dead Poet, an Irish pub. If you’re peckish, it has a full menu (including fried pickles) and signature drinks. One of the more affordable creative drinks is the Dead Poet’s version of a Long Island, the Walt Whitman. Have a few and you’ll know the amplitude of time, too. 

450 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10024

Alachi Masala

What’s better than eating fresh, tasty Indian food? Being able to bring your own liquor with which to enjoy said Indian food. The food is good and can be spicy if you want it that way (I tend to). Plus, you get to wash down the naan with your wine of choice. Protip: Mitchell’s Wine & Liquor Store is between the subway and Alachi Masala and sells $10 magnums of Little Penguin wine. 

488 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10024

Baked by Melissa

Everyone knows about Magnolia Bakery and Crumbs. But in the world of chain cupcake stores, Baked by Melissa is certainly the quirkiest. The cupcakes here may be minuscule, but they’re also incredibly tasty. Perhaps it’s the novelty of tiny food that makes Baked By Melissa appealing, but itís definitely worth a visit.

2325 Broadway
New York, NY 10024