This week in GSSC: A rep review and expanding family benefits

Update, 7:25 a.m.

Did you miss the General Studies Student Council meeting on Tuesday night? Council correspondent Stephanie Frescas brings you the five things you need to know:

1. Under review: Several General Studies students asked the council to inquire into the origin of the Night Owl operation—which would provide nap space for GS students during exams---claiming the idea did not come from Malcolm Marcoulides, GSSC's academic affairs representative, who suggested the idea. GSSC President Hannah Germond, GS ’16, said a review has been underway since the executive board first noted the complaints in comments left on a Bwog post, many of which claimed Marcoulides took the idea from another student without credit. Germond emphasized that as it currently stands, the review is not necessarily an impeachment investigation. “We’re not leaving impeachment out as an option but we’re certainly not gunning [for it]," Germond said. Spec has reached out to Marcoulides for comment, which can be read below after the jump.
  2. Familial support: The council unanimously voted to support the Columbia University Family Support Network's resolution to expand child care resources available to undergraduate students. CUFSN will now bring the resolution to the three other undergraduate student councils.
  3. It's up for debate: Germond announced that election debates will be held April 1 at 7:35 p.m. in place of regular council meetings. Voting will open April 2, with polling booths set up on college walk.
  4. Financial times: The council announced that alumna Elle Littlefield will be holding a financing and consulting information session April 7 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
  5. Stories and parties: Vice President of Student Events Jason Pettigrew GS ’16, announced the theme for the GS Gala will be “GS Story,” focusing on the unique and diverse backgrounds of GS students.

Statement from Marcoulides:

Most importantly, I would like to thank my fellow classmates for generating this idea. All parties concerned have met in an effort to move forward in a way that ensures that the Night Owl Program sees the light of day and that all contributors feel properly recognized. An environment that allows for collaboration is critical for a vibrant community.

What you may not know is that even though the Night Owl Survey was distributed to the student body on February 22nd, we were not made aware of any misunderstanding until March 6th (by way of anonymous blog comments, on the brink of election season). Action was taken by GSSC the moment we saw the anonymous blog comments.

Finally, I am grateful to the administration, Alice!, fellow members of GSSC, and the Policy Committee for their critical support and vision throughout the past seven months with respect to the Night Owl Program. I encourage anyone who would like to become more involved in launching the Night Owl Pilot to join us at our weekly Policy Committee meeting on Monday at 7:15pm in Butler 403A.