Slow Dakota, Sun Looks Down, Phonoscenes play show at Midtown club

Columbia Daily Spectator

Three bands familiar to the Columbia campus scene played a show at Slake, a nightclub and concert venue located in Midtown Thursday night.  The evening featured sets by Slow Dakota, Sun Looks Down, and Phonoscenes all three of which are composed of undergraduates from Columbia College, the School of Engineering and Applied Science, and Barnard College.

Slow Dakota, the music project of P.J. Sauerteig, CC ’15, has released two EPs since 2012—“Our Indian Boy” and “Bürstner and the Baby.”  

Sun Looks Down—composed of Diana Flanagan, CC ’15, on vocals, Spencer Horstman CC ’14, on keyboard, Jacob Sunshine, CC ’14 on guitar, and  David Su, CC ’14, on drums—released its debut EP, “Sungaze,” in January. It is currently available streaming on Spotify and available for download from iTunes.  Sun Looks Down was also recently featured in WNYC's Battle of the Boroughs and have played several shows in the New York and Los Angeles areas in the past year.

Phonoscenes—composed of Spencer Cunningham, CC ’14, on guitar and vocals, Daniel Girma CC ’14 on guitar and vocals, Cameron Erdogan, SEAS ’14, on guitar and vocals, Jacob Sunshine, CC ’14, on bass, and Isaac Bunch, CC ’14, on drums—will be releasing its debut EP later this month. The group has already released the first single off the EP, “The Red Line.”

• Natalie Moore for Spectator
    Sungaze | Sun Looks Down performs songs from their recent EP "Sungaze" on Feb. 27.
  • Natalie Moore for Spectator
    Crazybird | Sun Looks Down’s Diana Flanagan, CC ’15.
  • Natalie Moore for Spectator
    Piano Man | P.J. Sauerteig, CC ’15, provides keyboard in addition to vocals for Slow Dakota.
  • Natalie Moore for Spectator
    Bürstner and the Baby | Slow Dakota perform songs from their first EP "Our Indian Boy" as well as the more recent "Bürstner and the Baby" at a Feb. 27 performance.
  • Natalie Moore for Spectator
    Moonshine | Sun Looks Down performs their first single “Moonshine” at Slake on Feb. 27.
  • Natalie Moore for Spectator
    Video Games | Slow Dakota’s P.J. Sauerteig, CC ’15, and Emilie Schattman, BC ’15, perform a cover of Lana Del Rey's "Video Games" at a Feb. 27 show.
  • Natalie Moore for Spectator
    band mates | Phonoscenes, composed of, from left, Jacob Sunshine CC ’14, Cameron Erdogan, SEAS ’14, and Isaac Bunch, CC ’14, perform at Slake on Feb. 27.
  • Natalie Moore for Spectator
    The Red Line | Daniel Girma, CC ’14, provides vocals for Phonoscenes.
  • Natalie Moore for Spectator
    Rhythm section | Isaac Bunch, CC ’14, plays drums for Phonoscenes while Jacob Sunshine, CC ’14 and also a member of Sun Looks Down, provides bass for Phonscenes.
  • Natalie Moore for Spectator
    Premonitions | Phonoscenes perform several songs from their upcoming EP, including one called “Premonitions,” at a Feb. 27 show with Spencer Cunningham, CC ’14, on vocals.
  • Natalie Moore for Spectator
    Slake Stage | Phonoscenes perform at a Feb. 27 show at Slake in Midtown.