Opinion

Looks can be deceiving

Like most of us at Columbia, my workload has gotten heavier recently, and I have been spending more time around campus studying in Lerner, (not) smoking outside of NoCo, and lounging in Butler. I began to notice that I was getting noticed myself.

Friday, 5:30 p.m., Hungarian Pastry Shop:
A woman standing asks a woman sitting at a table if she knows the man she is sitting with---me.
Woman sitting answered, “No.”
Standing woman: “Good, he looks like an idiot.”
I'm pretty confused because both women are strangers to me.

Friday, 12:30 a.m., Butler Library main entrance:
I'm on a homework break outside of Butler. Two unidentified undergrads walking by spot the man and say, "What’s he doing here?”

I'm new to campus and certainly not used to stares, giggles, or whispers when I pass by or linger in front of a building as famed as Butler. Usually, I am not obsessively concerned with other folk’s irrational fears or prejudices. Most days, the awkward looks and rapid 20-foot radii I have come to know in my first couple of weeks at Columbia have been incredibly amusing and I can take it all with a grain of salt. But sometimes, the unwarranted malice at Columbia is overbearing.

I realize that people fear what they do not or cannot understand. Some also fall victim to transference from a previous experience or groupthink in a current one. I suspect something like groupthink is probably exasperated at an Ivy League school, but also I suspect I am not alone or unique in this experience either here either.

I take a step back and acknowledge that my “look” is admittedly unconventional, especially as a Columbia student. I am broad shouldered, stocky and overweight. I am one of the 35.7% of Americans who are obese. As an obese man, it is difficult to find clothing that fits---not to mention nice clothing that fits me well. Usually my choices are between baggy and functional or tight and not-all-that fashionable.

My hair wants to sprouts from my chin to my toes, but won’t reach the top of my head. I cannot stand my natural bozo-the-clownesque hair, so I shave all of it off. I am also the proud-ish owner of a red neck beard. Did I mention that I consider myself to have a positive body image? Really,  I am (generally) comfortable with who I am and what I look like. I’m just trying to sit in the same classroom or library with you without being stared at like some freak show.

I feel spoiled for even having the privilege to complain. I am an American who attends Columbia University. Well, my tuition next semester isn’t paid and might never be, but I am getting an education in an incredible city. I might have done a few things right to get where I am, but I am so more lucky than I am talented. I think all of us are. So maybe we should stop judging each other and just be happy that we can all be here together. Right?

Karrie Zan posted on

This is the right blog for anyone who wishes to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I personally will need to

+1
0
-1
Jannette posted on

My family members every time say that I am killing my time here at web,
except I know I am getting know-how daily by reading thes fastidious content.

Look at my web site: 8 ball pool hack ipad jailbreak

+1
0
-1
Eddy posted on

Nice blog here! Also your web site loads up fast! What web host are
you using? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink
to your host? I want my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

my web-site ... castle clash hack android

+1
0
-1
architect posted on

You seem like a nice dude. Don't mind all the crabby ladies and sheltered undergrads. Good luck with your studies!

+1
0
-1
thank you posted on

This piece was so brave--I'm so sorry you have had to deal with the asshole population at Columbia.

+1
0
-1

my workload has gotten heavier recently

+1
0
-1
Tanisha posted on

If some one needs to be updated with newest technologies afterward
he must be pay a quick visit this website and be up to date all the time.

My webpage - castle clash gem hack without survey - http://goo.gl/GPO902 -

+1
0
-1
seo posted on

Hello Web Admin, I noticed that your On-Page SEO is is missing a few factors, for one you do not use all three H tags in your post, also I notice that you are not using bold or italics properly in your SEO optimization. On-Page SEO means more now than ever since the new Google update: Panda. No longer are backlinks and simply pinging or sending out a RSS feed the key to getting Google PageRank or Alexa Rankings, You now NEED On-Page SEO. So what is good On-Page SEO?First your keyword must appear in the title.Then it must appear in the URL.You have to optimize your keyword and make sure that it has a nice keyword density of 3-5% in your article with relevant LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing). Then you should spread all H1,H2,H3 tags in your article.Your Keyword should appear in your first paragraph and in the last sentence of the page. You should have relevant usage of Bold and italics of your keyword.There should be one internal link to a page on your blog and you should have one image with an alt tag that has your keyword....wait there's even more Now what if i told you there was a simple Wordpress plugin that does all the On-Page SEO, and automatically for you? That's right AUTOMATICALLY, just watch this 4minute video for more information at. Seo Plugin
seo http://www.SeoAnalyticNews.com/

+1
0
-1
szwklukzp posted on

锘縃ere in the final, he single handedly brought Pakistan back into the match and, with 13 needed off the final over, smashed Joginder Sharma's inoffensive medium pace for six off the second ball. With six needed off four, Misbah played a frog legged scoop that sailed to long leg Red Bottom Shoes and was caught by Sreesanth. Cue wild celebrations, cue the IPL, cue the End of Cricket As We Knew It..

Bitterroot blacksmith hopes to teach new generation skill of turning raw metal into artWE CARE: Single mom needs help with rent, car payment after medical procedurePAUL FUGLEBERG: Colonel was the king of dreamers in the FlatheadDivorces for Monday, April 28Marriages for Monday, April 28I suspect I am only one of many who have not been fully tuned in recently to what's going on these days with Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks. This is despite the fact I am on the agency email list and generally receive notices about public meetings and requests for comment on various proposals and projects. I am not very good about keeping up with the email that comes my way..

Jill, I wondered the same thing, so I downloaded seasonal data from the National Climatic Data Center back to the 30 but it in a Google Spreadsheet, wrote a script to total seasonal snow falls and list out the top ten. We in record or near record territory. Compare Christian Louboutin Outlet my February temperatures to your February temperatures:.

If I had to pick a major carrier/backbone provider that accounts for the missing 25%, it would probably be Deutsche Telekom/T Mobile. According to the Wall Street Journal report, at least one telco has its lawyers only hand over foreign streams of data. It entirely possible that the government has a tap on every major player in the US internet market..

(Besides, if it weren't for those little red Christian Louboutin Red Bottom Daffodil Yellow Platform Shoes 160mm Snakeskin Pumps stars, we have a feeling the heads of 15 year old boys all around the world would start exploding all at once. Nobody wants to see that happen. What a mess!). Would Chicago Vice do that on the Gold Coast? The commander says they do, when hotels see a problem."They will call us and we will partner discount oakleys sunglasses with them and set up a sting operation," Angarone says. "Absolutely, we will do that.""People turn a blind eye, that a better way of putting it," says a long time Rush Street doorman. "It seems as though it sanctioned."Police won say if they believe the man charged in Brianna Gardner murder had something to do with sex trafficking.

Attempts to introduce sustainable methods for sport hunting of lions have been discussed for decades. But the lion population continues to decline, and reform of the hunting industry appears to be far off. Even a new, much hyped method of targeting aging lions, so that the animals are killed after contributing to the genetic pool, are difficult to pull off and rely on age verification after the lion has already been killed..

+1
0
-1