not_set | Sports

WEEKEND RECAP: Track & Field, Wrestling, Women's Tennis, Squash, Women's Basketball

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    On the wrong foot | While fencing captured an Ivy League title, some of Columbia's other teams struggled this weekend.

Track & Field Finn Vigeland/Spectator Senior Staff Writer

The track and field team has set a high bar for itself over the last few weeks, so it was with some disappointment that the Light Blue shuffled out of the Armory on Saturday evening, resigned to what head coach Willy Wood called “a pretty average meet for us.”

For the first time this season, Columbia was up against national competition, and it showed in the results. Despite posting a handful of personal bests, the Lions often trailed powerhouses like Arkansas and Vanderbilt... (Read more)

Wrestling Ben Sheng/Spectator Staff Writer

The wrestling team (6-4, 3-3 EIWA) hung close with shorthanded No. 4 Cornell (10-0, 8-0 EIWA) on Saturday before finally falling 22-15 in Ithaca.

The Big Red entered the match with four starters missing, at least three due to injury, according to Lion head coach Carl Fronhofer. Columbia took advantage of the four backups for all four of its wins... (Read more)

Women's Tennis Myles Simmons/Spectator Senior Staff Writer

The women’s tennis program tacked on a title to its string of recent successses by winning its first-ever Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference tournament this weekend. In the six-team competition of Ivy squads, the No. 51 Lions upset No. 32 Yale in Sunday’s final in front of a loud crowd at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.

Winners of the previous three Ivy titles, the Bulldogs also came into the weekend looking for their fifth consecutive ECACs victory. But the Light Blue, which shared the Ancient Eight championship with the Elis last spring, emphatically denied Yale... (Read more)

Squash Muneeb Alam/Spectator Senior Staff Writer

The squash teams closed their seasons with losses to Princeton and Penn...(Read more)

Women's Basketball Kyle Perrotti/Spectator Senior Staff Writer

The women’s basketball team (4-16, 1-5 Ivy) said last week that it would have its plate full over the weekend against two of the top teams in the Ancient Eight: Princeton (13-6, 4-1 Ivy) and Penn (14-5, 4-1 Ivy). And while Lions managed a good showing in both contests, they finished the weekend winless... (Read more)