Chad Washington case formally dismissed today

After his final appearance at the New York City Criminal Court today, Chad Washington, CC '15, the football player arrested last spring after allegedly shouting racial slurs and assaulting another student, has had all charges formally dropped in an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal, or ACD.

The Lion first reported on the decision earlier today.

Today's decision is more of a formality—in August, we reported that Washington received the ACD and was on track to have the case dismissed. New York City Criminal Court records show that Washington completed the 10 days of community service assigned in Oct. 2013.

At the time, Washington was charged with one count of aggravated harrassment based on race/religion and one count of physical assault.

The incident sparked significant debate across campus over racism and homophobia within the Columbia athletic community after students uncovered examples of homophobic or racist tweets by several athletes—some of whom were followed by Columbia Athletics' Twitter.

this is something I've been curious about.. the court records show his first appearance as being with a public defender. and then subsequently he was represented by a very chichi private defense attorney... whose firm has some work with CU.

+1
0
-1
typo posted on

"some whose accounts were followed by official Columbia Athletics Twitter accounts"

+1
0
-1
hmm posted on

hmmmmm. hmph.

+1
0
-1
Gelbad posted on

Dismissed. Never to be forgotten. It is shameful that Columbia University spent resources to protect a criminal.

+1
0
-1
Chunk posted on

That figures. Columbia had to help him. Without him, Columbia wouldn't be such a football powerhouse. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahha roflmao

+1
0
-1