A&E

LIVEBLOG: Shaking our collective booty at the Dance Marathon

Starting today at 1 p.m., students of all levels of dance skills will be shaking it to raise money for the Elisabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation at the annual CU Dance Marathon. Some will be going all the way until tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. We're liveblogging the excitement for you.

7:03 a.m. "If nothing else," said Allison and her friend, "we found love in a hopeless place." Spectrum out.

6:59 a.m. A balloon popped, waking me up. FINAL COUNTDOWN!

6:57 a.m. Related: Adam Levine was recently deemed People's Sexiest Man Alive, to much uproar. I think the important question, though, is who is People's Sexiest Man Dead?

6:55 a.m. Total money raised tonight: $18,085. Quoth an anonymous nearby Spec editor: "Wow, that's a lot. Holy fuck." ONE MORE "MOVES LIKE JAGGER," EVERYBODY.

6:54 a.m. Multimedia deputy Megan Cunnane has joined us with her camera in tow. Six minutes left!

6:48 a.m. They're now playing "Tightrope" by Janelle Monáe—part of the excellent "Friends with Benefits" soundtrack. Also one of the songs from my senior dance recital.

6:44 a.m. It's bagels o'clock somewhere...aka here.

Emma Finder / Senior Staff Photographer Emma Finder / Senior Staff Photographer

6:41 a.m. I spy some kind of inflatable pig thing. Considering asking to take it home as part of my quest to let no fundraiser item go to waste. It's charity because it's kind of advertisement, right??

6:38 a.m. Lesley is so bad at spelling/having a charged computer that I, Spectrum Editor Emma Finder, am taking over the liveblog: "Accidentally smelled his name as Nike."

6:34 a.m. Christina and Allison are krumping.

6:33 a.m. Christina is creepily peering at me from behind one of those cylinder pole things that hold up the building.

6:29 a.m. Michelle Johnson, SEAS '16, has been here since 1 p.m. "It was a lot of fun," she said."I'd do it again." Current state: "zombie," she says.

6:26 a.m. Sydney Van Horn, the development coordinator for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, stopped by. "I couldn't be more proud of them I know how hard they worked for this... bar mitzvah hour was insane," she said.

6:23 a.m. Eleanor Bray got a prize for being an "amazing DJ." She won a shitload of cheeseballs!

6:19 a.m. Trying to CQ these people in my head. Nick Lieberman got a Hungarian Pastry Shop gift card. Accidentally smelled his name as Nike.

6:17 a.m. It's prize time. I misheard it as "fries."

6:14 a.m. I'm BORED.

6:08 a.m. Can't tell if someone lying down is laughing... or sobbing.

6:07 a.m. Addendum: The sun is not yet out.

6:06 a.m. Sun salutation time. Hi, sunrise.

5:59 a.m. Yoga hour is nigh. (Does yoga count?)

5:58 a.m. It was delicious. And the lovely Emma Finder is here now!

5:56 a.m. Sarah went to get a cookie.

5:48 a.m. JT is playing. Someone turned on the lights. There was a collective, "Owww."

5:39 a.m. Sean Paul is playing. This conjures up uncomfortable memories of  middle school dances.

5:35 a.m. An exhausted Sarah Roth is feebly shaking a tambourine.

5:31 a.m. I'm questioning the dedication of some of these participants. Should they be checking their cell phones on the dance floor? I think not. Oooh, someone just somersaulted.

5:27 a.m. FINALLY, some dance-able music. Thanks, Of Montreal. Kudos on the appropriate song selection: "The Party's Crashing Us."

5:26 a.m. Christina and Allison are sexy-dancing for us. High point of our night. They're also using props—PROPS.

5:25 a.m. Christina thinks we should be more critical in our liveblog. Challenge accepted.

5:21 a.m. Christina Ellsberg, BC '16, requested a shout-out. "I'm only in this for the hook-up culture," she said. "Is there anything more sexually appealing than the ability to dance for 18-hours straight? I'll answer my own question: No."

5:20 a.m. Three people are sitting down... WHAT IS THIS?

5:08 a.m. Quoth the Biebs: "Never Say Never." BTW, great documentary.

5:02 a.m. Eleanor Bray, BC'14, advises everyone to drink water.

5:01 a.m. Top of the hour. Means it's "Jaggar" time. Every damn time.

4:54 a.m. Thomas Arbuckle II, CC '17, stopped by. He says he doesn't know if he has the stamina for this. "I can sing through a three-hour opera, I can do two shows in a row, but dance marathon—that's tough," he said. We salute you.

4:52 a.m. Someone is sitting on the dance floor... is that legal?

4:50 a.m. Rihanna's "Diamonds" interrupts Disney hour.

4:32 a.m. "Mulan" time. Christina Aguilera asks important questions.

4:10 a.m. Rockin' out to to "Under the Sea" from the Spectrum table. Can I be considered a contestant if I am dancing from my seat?

4:07 a.m.: Just realized my bitchin' CUDM tatt is fading... he has no head.

4:04 a.m.: Lesley here. Christina Seto, BC ’15 and one of this year's CUDM organizers, stopped by, trying to persuade us to dance.

4:03 a.m. Starting off the hour strong with "I Just Can't Wait to Be King." More like "I Just Can't Wait for this to be Over," amirite?

4:01 a.m. Sarah Roth taking over. I will be dancing to Disney music.

3:59 a.m. Yep. "Moves Like Jagger" is playing. Every hour. On the hour. The synchronized dance is happening again.

3:55 a.m. Real Questions with David Brann: Will they go straight to Disney or further indulge in "Moves Like Jagger"?

3:52 a.m. DISNEY in t-minus 7 minutes.

3:48 a.m. If you didn't know "Juicy," now you know, Jill.

3:44 a.m. Getting tattooed by David Brann again. More importantly, "No Scrubs" playing.

3:42 a.m. Shout-out to Charlotte Murtishaw. Not sure why. Hey Charlotte!

3:40 a.m. "Sk8ter Boi." Truly a joy.

3:31 a.m. Two couples dancing ballroom to Weezer right now. It is a sight to behold.

3:27 a.m. We're listening to Ace of Base. Recognized it from Pitch Perfect. Kinda hate myself. "Shouldn't they be playing this during the 'sun' hour?" asks David Brann.

3:21 a.m. They do yoga at 6 a.m. after this?! Just reporting what the schedule is telling me. Just so you know how dedicated this blogger is, she failed yoga reporting for Spec (so I'll definitely be staying until then!).

3:11 a.m. Has the dance marathon ever had a mosh pit? Would anyone like to see that?

2:58 a.m. "Moves Like Jagger" is back. Everyone is doing a synchronized dance. Would love to know how this came about.

2:57 a.m. Props to CUDM for the inflatables. Someone return the inflatable microphone to me. Please.

2:50 a.m. Just informed that if I want One Direction, I came at the wrong time. It's just not going to happen. Might just get some noise-canceling headphones and play them for myself.

2:49 a.m. Since "Whip It," is playing, I just want to bring attention to the fact that Devo wore these hats. Why? Because it was the 90s? Is there a credible explanation for the weird hats?

2:47 a.m. "You drive me crazy, I just can't sleep." (Actually.)

2:40 a.m. Found the cookies. NEED MILK.

2:38 a.m. Happening right now. 

2:34 a.m. The Dance Marathon is actually one of my favorite events of the year. I have t-shirts from the last two years of Dance Marathons. I'm really happy to be here. So much tired/hyper dancing happening, everyone.

2:32 a.m. Photo Editor David Brann is giving me a temporary tattoo and says he has no experience in tattoo application. Things getting crazy.

2:27 a.m. Jillian here. Why do these tears come at night? "Lucky" is playing.

isaidnobodyknows / tumblr

2:25 a.m.: The '90s was really a litany of mediocre pop-punk. As opposed to the excellent pop-punk that characterized the mid-2000s.And with that unremarkable observation, Rachel and I are going to sign off and hand over the blogging reigns to A&E Spectrum deputy Jillian Kumagai.

2:20 a.m.: I'm wondering where the Semisonic is. Although it would be more fitting to play "Closing Time" at 7 a.m., I want to hear it now. Rachel is still playing the tambourine, which actually makes me conclude that more songs should have tambourine.

2:16 a.m.: N*SYNC's "It's Gonna Be Me" is on and everyone is loving it. David Brann said one of the dipping sauces for the fries was mayo. MAYO!? Odd, especially given that this is a long event, but whatever.

2:11 a.m.: Wishing it was 3 already, I want "Moves like Jagger." I've almost forgotten how it goes.

2:06 a.m.: In the hope of milking some advertising money out of the fine people at Hall's, we'd like to once again give a shoutout to their triple-soothing action cough drops. Both David Brann and Shiraz endorse them wholeheartedly.

2:03 a.m.: With five hours left, they're moving into a two-hour block of '90s and early '00s songs. Starting off with Destiny's Child.

1:59 a.m.: An organizer is making her way to the stage, which means it's about time for "Moves Like Jagger" time again. It does do a good job of keeping people awake and giving them something to look forward to.

1:54 a.m.: Drake's "The Motto" is playing. I can't believe the kid from DeGrassi launched the most obnoxious phrase on earth. Or maybe I can.

1:48 a.m.: Christina, one of the organizers, would like it to be known that I was dancing to Ke$ha's "Die Young." This is true, and was probably just something y'all assumed anyway so I didn't bother telling you.

1:44 a.m.: David Brann is back in the running for food and drink associate since he pointed me in the direction of mozzarella sticks. MOZZARELLA STICKS. And now One Direction's "Up All Night" is playing. This isn't their best song, but it's the most apt and "the one that's gonna be stuck in my head for the next three days," Rachel said. 

1:40 a.m.: Pharrell's "Happy" is on now. What are the odds he'll make this marathon a part of his 24-hour music video?

1:36 a.m.: Shoutout to Ben Sheng, Spec ACE, for being the one person reading our dance marathon liveblog this far past midnight and for appreciating the "Gravity" jokes. That someone is reading makes it all worth it.

1:34 a.m.: Literally a dude twerking at a 90 degree angle. Don't ask me how, you had to be there.

1:33 a.m.: Have concluded that "Run the World" really would have benefitted from more tambourine. And now "Die Young " playing as some people take a selfie with an inflatable pig.

1:26 a.m.: A Major Lazer remix of "Run the World" is playing right now. Rachel is playing a tambourine. Not sure where she got it. David Brann would like to give a shoutout to Hall's triple-soothing action cough drops.

1:21 a.m.: Was just called an uncultured swine by Shiraz, Rachel's friend, because I didn't know that this was a Ludacris song.

1:16 a.m.: Rachel has taken to the dance floor to dance to "Super Bass," as any sane person would.

1:13 a.m.: Flaxo left, which means now there's only mediocre trap music playing. Also David Brann is officially out of the running for A&E food and drink associate since he dropped his cup of cheese puff balls. ALSO IT'S NICKI TIME.

1:08 a.m.: Bubble butt is playing. People seem pretty into it.

1 a.m.: No prizes for guessing what just happened. (Hint: It involved Adam Levine and synchronized dancing.) To compensate for that, we've put on some CUDM temporary tattoos, which are actually very high quality. David Brann's is on his forehead.

12:57 a.m.: Just realized that the glow sticks say "UP 4 THE FIGHT," though I feel like whoever got them engraved could have afforded to spell "for."

12:52 a.m.: Rachel is eating an apple and David is rocking the "farmer at a rave" look, so things are going pretty well.

12:45 a.m.: David Brann left to take photos on the dance floor with a purple tiger stripe plastic hat. He returned with a real straw farmer's hat. Somewhere in Morningside Heights, a man in overalls is missing his hat.

12:37 a.m.: Flaxo is playing a really solid set. So solid that Rachel and her friend have joined the dancers.

12:32 a.m.: David Brann has boogied onto the dance floor to take photos. There's a really chill vibe in here. Rachel said it looks like everyone's stoned, but really they're just tired.

12:27 a.m.: Rachel is trying to make a glow balloon and  has saved the dance marathon as a result.

12:22 a.m.: I blew up a balloon to the point where Rachel "could see the cleftal horizon" on the heart, but it exploded when I tried to tie it.  David also just recounted his daily brush with death—"just a normal Saturday," he said about being sandwiched between a bus and a taxi while your shoelace is stuck in the bike chain.

12:18 a.m.: Shoutout to photo editor David Brann for showing up to take pictures He's gonna get a lot of photos of Flaxo standing by his laptop. He also expertly inflated a heart-shaped balloon from Victoria's Secret, who apparently were here. Also books associate Rachel Dunphy has joined me and also blew up a heart balloon.

12:10 a.m.: Flaxo's set has begun. It's really dark in here.

12:05 a.m.: It's glowstick time, but apparently there's an exercise that's taking place. The organizer is reading statements and glow sticks can be broken when it applies to the person. It's a little awkward because I don't have a glow stick. I do have pad thai though.

12:01 a.m.: The chief development director at the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is talking now about Glaser's story. "She wanted to save the world, but she wanted to save her family first."

11:58 p.m.: Oh "Moves Like Jagger," how I've missed you.

11:56 p.m.: Ally and Shreyas have left. This is David, who has taken over blogging for the next two hours. Luckily this timeslot coincides with Flaxo's set. This may or may not be a coincidence.

11:47 p.m.: *Le group of girls running in a circle and screaming* "THAT seems like a mistake"

11:44 p.m.: The party's getting so steamy it's almost a crime... the security guard's even jamming out

11:41 p.m.: BUBBLES

11:40 p.m.: "I believe that rubber pig is eating that person."

11:30 p.m.: Slightly better JT + excellent dancers = partay with CUDM. Seriously, if you're awake...this is the place to be right now. No, not parties. Don't be silly.

11:28 p.m.: Hardcore game of beach ball going on in the Diana Center while the Cat Daddy is happening. #wow #simultaneousthings

11:24 p.m.: Ludacris makes everything better.

11:19 p.m.: Shout-out to Darragh Martin, our Lit Hum prof: we're doing research on the excellent life, and this ain't it. #badJTsongs

11:16 p.m.: "A lot of people are playing with those condom-balloons..." "Hey, at least they're not breaking!"

11:11 p.m.: CUDM is celebrating 11:11 by playing SMANG IT. We couldn't think of a better way to do it.

11:09 p.m.: Victoria's Secret's here with either balloons or condoms. We're not really sure which.

11:01 p.m.: Moves Like Jagger....again. At least it's waking everyone up!

11:00 p.m.: The event organizer/DJ just turned a lei into a mustache/beard combo #skillz

10:55 p.m.: CUDM is shouting out to CHICAGO!!!!!!! FEELING AT HOME, YOU ALL! :D

10:50 p.m.: CUDM is shouting out to TEXAS!!!!!!! FEELING AT HOME Y'ALL ;')

10:47 p.m.: We've got some pirouettes going on... this is getting serious

10:45 p.m.: "She's not puking...I think she's dancing!" #qualityallyquotes

10:39 p.m.: Vintage Miley Cyrus...#perfect

10:36 p.m.: To the girl leaping through the crowd to hug a friend: you get me.

10:32 p.m.: To the person jerking while eating an insomnia cookie, you highlight perhaps the most important college rule to live by: if one can eat an insomnia cookie, one must eat an insomnia cookie.

10:28 p.m.: Sometimes I think apron guy's legs are broken. #howdoeshedoit?

10:27 p.m.:  Stretching in the middle of the floor. #longhairdon'tcare

10:20 p.m.: Dude in apron is crankin' dat quite hard #souljaboy

10:18 p.m.: There's some serious leaning back going on in here.

10:13 p.m.: Just had my first insomnia cookie... SO GOOD.

10:09 p.m.: Large inflatable pig located in the crowd.

10:07 p.m.: The Lakers? THE LAKERS? Everyone, they just got a pump-up video from the Los Angeles Lakers. #whaaaat

10:04 p.m.: Now I see why they've been complaining about "Moves Like Jagger" all day...

9:59 p.m.: Ally and Shreyas here! Lorde's playing, so all is good with the world.

9:56 p.m.: And, with 3 minutes of power left on my computer, I'm ouuuuuuut.

9:53 p.m.: I guess that cake gettin' eaten. #radiofriendlyazealia

9:49 p.m.: My vision's blurring. "212" is playing. We're in the 212. #morefacts
(I would continue with more lines from the song, but I don't know how obscene this is allowed to be.)

9:44 p.m.: They're playing "Last Friday Night" right now. Last Friday night, of course, was yesterday night. #facts

9:42 p.m.: I've been informed my replacements are showing up in 10. There are no words for the emotion I'm feeling right now.

9:39 p.m.: Some pre-Chad Kroeger Avril playing right now, but it's still "Girlfriend" so unfortunately still not her classic material. I feel a small urge to go to Hot Topic stirring in my soul.

9:33 p.m.: FINALLY we get some Beyonce. Half an hour is a ridiculous amount of time to wait for the unofficial Queen of America.

9:28 p.m.: Ok, I admit it. At least three people look like they're having enough fun to make me a little jealous that they're doing the dance marathon.

9:24 p.m.: This is Gwen Stefani or Madonna. Both of them had ticking clocks in a song, ok? Let's cross our fingers for a collaboration in the near future. PS It's Madonna. "Hung Up."

9:21 p.m.: More people standing than dancing to "Back it Up" right now. Advice: Don't advertise it as a marathon if it's not. Do you think that runner way back at the Battle of Marathon took standing breaks? No. The answer is no, which is why he supposedly died of exhaustion.

9:19 p.m.: A Stressbuster just asked me if she could take a chair at a different table. I told her I'm not actually affiliated with CUDM and have no idea. She took it anyway.

9:17 p.m.: Stressbusters are hard at work. Hunching over this computer is at least as hard as dancing. Or probably Stressbusting, for that matter. As leading ladies continues with Ke$ha (?) I'm hoping for some Bjork or PJ Harvey or Grimes. Throw me a line here, dance marathon.

9:13 p.m. pt. 2: But this song has so much passion! (/sarcasmo) Now wondering whether or not anyone's broken up with someone else through a liveblog before. #newmedia

9:13 p.m.: Tay Swift's "Trouble" now on. That music video is hilarious. I was just reading NYMag's cover story on her, which had some good points but ultimately suffered from failing to conceal how in love with her the writer is.

9:12 p.m.: Decided to keep eating the falafel salad. Someone bring me real food. Mom, are you reading? I would never ask you to leave New Jersey for America's armpit, NYC, but this is desperate.

9:10 p.m.: "Leading Ladies" hour kicks off with "S&M." Where the Bey at?

9:09 p.m.: Feeling sick from the falafel salad. And lonely. Read this later and weep, Lesley. I HOPE YOUR SISTER'S PLAY WAS WORTH IT.

9:07 p.m.: "Moves Like Jagger" again. I read back in the liveblog to discover this is an hourly thing. Praying my colleagues show up early for their shift (still no feedback on that outlet, btw. Come on, loyal legion of readers.)

9:05 p.m.: Organizer Eleanor Bray appears to have undergone a leggings change.

9:02 p.m.: Since we/I mentioned cross country, it's only fair to also note that both swim teams competed today (women at an invite, the men falling to Harvard); football lost its last matchup/shot at redemption; fencing dominated yesterday in their season opener; both basketball teams suffered tough losses; and wrestling has something coming up tomorrow.

9:00 p.m.: Eating the falafel innards as a salad. Sue me. P.S. Computer battery warns me I have less than an hour left. Who knows where the nearest outlet is?

8:57 p.m.: "Party Rock" now being played. LMFAO remembering 2009.

8:54 p.m.: A much more adequate worm was just performed to loud applause and cheers.

8:51 p.m.: Speaking of, if you haven't learned of the 2014 OutKast reunion by now, here you are. Once again, this is the Spectrum CUDM liveblog, bringing you lots of mildly outdated news dispersed with comments on dancing.

8:50 p.m.: After a tech problem, "Hey Ya" is now being done a capella.

8:45 p.m.: This Bar Mitzvah is appropriately reliant on 90's top-40 standards, but to be honest I'm feeling more Sebadoh/Slowdive 90s right now. Any hope for me????

8:40 p.m.:
The crowd has grown. I am informed Stressbusters will be here at 9, which might explain it. Taking a short break to go get apple cider.

8:36 p.m.: Game's over. Everyone's taking a short breather. The lack of dancing going on right now seems very against the rules to me.

8:34 p.m.:
More rules are being added. This is getting cray. If the emcee says "Dr. Brown," you have to get on the ground and do the worm. Some very bad approximations of the worm over here in the event oval.

8:33 p.m.: Speaking of running and marathons, the NCAA XC championships happened today. Columbia men's team placed 25th. Go them! At least three runners in the top 20 were from New Jersey, including champ Ed Cheserek. Go New Jersey!

8:32 p.m.: A girl was leaning against the table but I inched it back anyway. She apologized. I thought about apologizing, but there's nothing wrong about valuing your life.

8:31 p.m.: Oops, just explained the rules. This is happening very close to the liveblogging table. RIP me. 

8:30 p.m.: Hillel has here. "Coke and Pepsi" is being played. No one explained what it is. I will now try to guess the rules by what's happening.

8:19 p.m.: "Cotton Eyed Joe" just came on. This indeed is the Bar Mitzvah hour.

8:14 p.m.: People are dancing in synchronicity. While facing me. I suspect this whole event was devious plan devised by Lesley to make me as uncomfortable as possible.

8:03 p.m.: HONESTLY???? HOW MANY TIMES DO THEY NEED TO PLAY MOVES LIKE JAGGER? Irate blogger who hates Maroon 5 out.

8:01 p.m.:
 Btw, I have been able to identify every 80s song they've played from the opening notes alone. Someone needs to let me do the playlist.

7:57 p.m.: brb, gonna go see a play. Seacrest out (until my 4 a.m. shift). Charlotte will remain.

7:55 p.m.: My irrepressible need to use this gif in no way correlates with my feelings towards this noble fundraiser: 
(p.s. Thanks Ann Friedman)

7:52 p.m.: David Bowie is playing. Fun fact: Charlotte owns a pair of David Bowie/Tilda Swinton leggings.

7:51 p.m.: But when will they play the "Twin Peaks" theme song, I wonder. Or some Enya. Nothing like a nice slow jam to really get the dance marathon rocking.

7:50 p.m.: It's true, I'm here. The entire room is getting collectively Rick Rolled right now and seem to be enjoying it.

7:48 p.m.: Charlotte's back.

7:47 p.m.: Correction: I think it was a hat. Spectator regrets the error.

7:43 p.m.:  Someone appears to be wielding a giant doughnut... this only happens in my dreams.

7:40 p.m.: Charlotte tells me that it just started snowing. "Conditions are vicious," she writes. She says her phone is so old it doesn't know that "blog" is a word.

7:35 p.m.: Answer: Travolta joined Tom Cruise at the dedication of a Scientology Flag Building on Sunday.

7:32 p.m.: "Stayin' Alive" is playing. It's "Saturday Night Fever" minus John Travolta. (What is he up to these days, anyway?)

7:29 p.m.: And we're back to Stevie Wonder.

7:24 p.m.: WHITNEY HOUSTON IS PLAYING.

7:21 p.m.: Everyone's in a circle and holding hands, while running. I'm noticing a lot of flair (temporary tattoos, included).

7:19 p.m.: Stevie Wonder is playing. I'm sensing that the dancers can feel exhaustion all over.

7:14 p.m.: Lesley Thulin and Charlotte Murtishaw here. People are grooving to Diana Ross's "I'm Coming Out." This is a long song. Charlotte had to leave to get her computer, but she'll be back.

7:04 p.m.: As they play "Moves Like Jagger" once again, Carroll and I are out of here. Carroll says she's off to do some film theory, but will probably end up watching some fine Bravo programming for three hours.

6:59 p.m.: Instead of "Moves Like Jagger," Janice McCall, from the Elisabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is speaking now about her story and learning that she was HIV positive. "I am more than being HIV positive," she said.

6:58 p.m.: It's about that time.

43256130

6:54 p.m.: Carroll is squealing with joy since they finally started playing "Man in the Mirror."

6:52 p.m.: Only 8 minutes left and they haven't played "Man in the Mirror." David tells me it's because it isn't "danceable." I DON'T CARE THAT IS A GREAT SONG!

6:51 p.m.: Cries of excitement just rang out as the Insomnia boxes were opened.

6:49 p.m.: David is really enjoying this hour of music as his family is the proud owner of a copy of the MJ documentary "This Is It."

6:47 p.m.: As they get into some of Michael Jackson's deep cuts, we just saw an organizer roll by with Insomnia cookies. This is about to be one sugared up group of people.

6:42 p.m.: After a performance and a tutorial, Carroll has decided to quite Spec and join CU Bellydance.

6:36 p.m.: CU Bellydance has arrived for a hip-swinging performance. See what I did there?

6:29 p.m.: One of the CUDM organizers just generously offered us falafel. Oh... We already helped ourselves.

6:25 p.m.: "Beat It" is on. I propose a walk-off a la "Zoolander."

http://media.giphy.com/media/K2hWvw8FEava8/giphy.gifgiphy.com

6:16 p.m.: Since we doubt anyone appreciated our "Gravity" jokes, we'll stop. Although speaking of gravity, a lot of people were trying to do the moonwalk a while ago. Carroll says, "If you you know how to moonwalk, this is literally the best hour of your life."

6:11 p.m.: David and I are concerned that y'all haven't seen "Gravity." These are "Gravity" jokes. OK.

6:07 p.m.: Spectrum in the blind this David. Everyone is dancing to "Thriller." This must be what being in "13 Going on 30" felt like. The "Thriller" dance is obviously kicking off the Michael Jackson hour. To confirm, Carroll Gelderman and I are literally the only people not dancing and everyone is staring at us.

6:01 p.m.: Spectrum in the blind this is A&E Associate Carroll Gelderman. It's the top of the hour which can only mean one thing: "Moves Like Jagger" is on again. To confirm, myself and David Salazar are the only non-flashdancing survivors of CUDM 2013.

5:54 p.m.: Spectrum in the blind this is A&E Deputy David Salazar. Everyone is doing the wobble, thanks to Onyx, who just taught everyone how. There is only one comment. To confirm, myself and Carroll Gelderman are the only non-dancing survivors of the wobble.

5:48 p.m.: Stomp group Venom has just started their performance. Damn, these folks are legit.

5:40 p.m.: Brb falafel break.

5:33 p.m.: A lot of the participants are taking a falafel break to eat some of the food provided by Amir's. Some people won't let dinner kill their vibe and are dancing while eating.

5:26 p.m.: There is also someone simultaneously crumping and eating a Havana Central empanada. I am very impressed.

5:25 p.m.: Crowd has diminished a bit here at CUDM, but there is a girl doing a version of the robot, so all is well.

5:17 p.m.: Carroll wants to clarify that she was being sarcastic about "Gossip Girl," even though I don't know why, what with it's accurate depictions of Yale and it's totally plausible ending. This "Around the World" music is all pretty great.

5:12 p.m.: Up next is "Creator" by Santigold (formerly Santogold). You guys remember when this was on that episode of "Gossip Girl"? What a great show.

5:08 p.m: Raw Elementz has exited the stage and now begins the Around the World hour. They are kicking off with "The Baddest Female" by Hallyu Wave.

5 p.m.: Before Raw Elementz takes the floor, there's the hourly dance to "Moves Like Jagger." That's gonna get real old for everyone at 2 a.m.

4:53 p.m.: Raw Elementz is going to be performing soon! It should be a lot of fun. For now,

4:48 p.m.: Beyonce's "Baby Boy" featuring the talented Sean Paul is giving me some major 6th grade feels. Shout out to my crew from those sock hops at the New Orleans JCC! Miss y'all!

4:44 p.m.: David informed me earlier that song requests cost only $1. I'm thinking about putting all my resources into requesting every Lana Del Rey song ever (haters, get at me) and then we can all dance like this for a few hours.

4:40 p.m.: Speaking of songs that are only great because Nicki Minaj's involvement, they just started playing "Ass" by Big Sean. Everyone likes it as much as I do, since the room's energy went up when it started.

4:33 p.m.: David claims he doesn't know Justin Bieber's "Baby," but I just caught him singing the words to the chorus. I am truly impressed by the people in here who know all of the words to Ludacris' verse.

4:27 p.m.: "Monster"—that incredible collaboration between Kanye, Jay Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj, and Bon Iver (yeah)—is playing now and I'm super excited because Nicki's verse on this song needs to be taught in Music Hum. Carroll has never heard it. I think she's from another planet.

4:23 p.m.: "Lady Marmalade" is on, but not the good one by Labelle. This is the Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya, and P!nk version and it's making me want to watch "Moulin Rouge."

4:20 p.m.: Kanye and Jay-Z are making Carroll flashback to when we were first-years. "All we need are 40s," Carroll said. Also, I can refute the claim that her bow tie is uneven. A couple people have told me that this year's marathon is smaller than it has been in the past, but there's still a lot of energy, and it's for a good cause. It'll be interesting to see how much they raise this year compared to previous years.

4:11 p.m.: Carroll Gelderman here joining David Salazar live from the Diana Event Oval. Thankfully, David is being very forgiving that I'm tardy to my shift. It's because I just spent a good 20 minutes wrestling with my bow tie and it's STILL uneven. Menswear is hard. How do you fellas do it?

4:05 p.m.: Nelly and Kelly Rowland are kicking off the "Classic Collaborations" hour. Also, the winner of a $25 Morton Williams gift certificate was Alex Braslaavsky, who has written a couple pieces for A&E this year! Congrats Alex! Up side: Free money. Down side: You have to go to Morton Williams.

4:01 p.m.: People are once again dancing to "Moves Like Jagger," and my reasoning tells me that this will probably happen at the top of every hour. Since I'll be here for the next three hours, I will take notes and report back on this fascinating phenomenon.

3:59 p.m.: Shoutout to Spec design associate Allison Henry and The Eye's senior design editor, Annie Wang who look like they're having a lot of fun. Not more fun than when they're at Spec, obviously.

3:54 p.m.: Just realized there are empanadas from Havana Central here. Also "Electric Avenue" just started, and people seem to be pretyt into it. More movement than during "Bust a Move," which is a little ironic.

3:47 p.m.: The single greatest song in the Western cannon is currently playing—Rick James and Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time." The energy is a little low right now.

3:42 p.m.: Apparently the most spirited dancer is going to win a gift certificate. To get the energy up, they're playing Lipps Inc's "Funky Town." It's working pretty well, actually.

3:38 p.m.: CU Raas gave a really awesome performance that's part of their theme this year—the Raascars (like the Oscars)—and now they're teaching everyone some dance moves.

3:30 p.m.: CU Raas has arrived to perform!

3:25 p.m.: OK. I know that Hall & Oates don't count as one-hit wonders. Li

3:22 p.m.: Does anyone remember Lou Bega? Apparently people thought he died when Lou Reed did. Almost as absurd as the fact that I know all the words to "Mambo Number 5" and remember the really cleaned up version he did for the Disney Channel at one point, though, unfortunately not the words. This is a really long song...

3:15 p.m.: "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba was a solid choice—I defy you to hear that song and not sing along. Now they're playing House of Pain. Nobody is jumping, really, which seems counterintuitive.

3:10 p.m.: I was a little puzzled by Gloria Estefan's "Turn the Beat Around" as a one-hit wonder, but then I realized I couldn't name another song by Gloria Estefan, so like, I guess my confusion was unwarranted. Stressbusters are here giving backrubs to dancers who need a break. I guess foot rubs would've crossed a line.

3:06 p.m.: Apparently it's Toni Basil time. But I just noticed there's a projector displaying all the tweets with #CUDM2013. I can't really read them, but that's probably me.

3 p.m.: We're moving into the "One Hit Wonders" hour...with "Moves like Jagger." Everyone did an awesome coordinated dance! That was fun. Apparently song requests cost $1. I've got a $10 bill in my pocket and a desire to hear "What's New Pussycat" by Tom Jones 10 times. Or "I'm Too Sexy," which is playing now to kick off the one-hit wonder hour.

2:54 p.m.: In typical fashion, the Beach Boys' "Barbara Ann" felt a little too short (also, obligatory shoutout to my mom, who is actually named Barbara Ann). But now they're playing "Tequila." If they were serving tequila, we would get to see some really awesome dance moves. Think about it, CUDM organizers.

2:48 p.m.: I'm gonna throw a flag on them playing "I Want You Back" by the Jackson 5. The Michael Jackson hour isn't until 6 p.m. Apparently everyone gets to learn the "Thriller" dance then.

2:43 p.m.: A handy flier is letting me know that the theme of this hour is "Blast from the past: pre-1970," so that explains why it feels like the first half of "La Bamba" in here. Just kidding—I've never actually seen the first half of "La Bamba," but I have seen the last half hour about four times. That was the summer we inexplicably had the Encore movie channels and the summer they only played "La Bamba" and "Look Who's Talking."

2:36 p.m.: Since I got here, they've played two Elvis songs and two James Brown songs. But there's also a solid mix of other oldies. It reminds me of a '50s-themed birthday my family threw my mom for her 50th birthday. Even though she was born in the '60s. I was outvoted. It still haunts me.

2:31 p.m.: There's a been a decent amount of Elvis being played. It feels like a sock hop in here, which is actually a nice vibe.

2:23 p.m.: James Brown is bringing the energy level in the room up a lot. I see a few people doing the twist a la John Travolta and Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction.

2:17 p.m.: David Salazar, resident jazz square expert here. We're off to a late liveblogging start, but the dancers here aren't. Everyone is dancing to The Drifters' "Under the Boardwalk" and looking like they're having a lot of fun. We'll see how that enthusiasm holds up for the next 17 hours.

emma posted on

David and Carroll, will we get to see any of YOUR dance moves?

+1
0
-1
Ben posted on

I appreciated your Gravity jokes, guys.

+1
-1
-1
dsalazar posted on

Thank you, Ben.

+1
0
-1
avillarreal posted on

YOU GO GLEN COCO

+1
+1
-1
Columbia Spectator's picture
Columbia Spectator posted on

I don't have my own personal staff account but I would like to say a) 7-10 (~7:40 - 10) was the best and b) WHY DID ALL OF THE GOOD FOOD COME AFTER THAT???

+1
0
-1
hogan interactive donna posted on

George Clooney, the Academy Award-winning actor, is no stranger to celebrity activism. For more than four years he has campaigned to end the conflict in Darfur, in western Sudan.
hogan interactive donna http://www.sipesca.it/public/dang.asp?hogan-interactive-donna/

+1
0
-1
http://www.chasepr.co.uk/tag/style/feed/?alt_id=115851 posted on

fortunately they are stocking modern outlining say like,resembling anchored wellingtons, and then slump over footwear,
http://www.chasepr.co.uk/tag/style/feed/?alt_id=115851 http://www.chasepr.co.uk/tag/style/feed/?alt_id=115851

+1
+1
-1