This Week in SGA: Approvals and vacancies

Barnard Student Government Association correspondent Emma Goss brings you the highlights from Monday night’s Barnard SGA representative council meeting.

What They’ve Done

• A representative from the Joint Council Co-sponsorships Committee presented requests for funding from two Columbia University student groups, both of which the representatives voted to approve. Fruit Paunch, a campus improv group, requested $393.50 to cover the cost for their trip to Ohio State University. Columbia's chapter of Active Minds, a national nonprofit dedicated to helping college students raise awareness of mental health issues, requested $1,200 for their trip to Washington, DC for the organization's national Mental Health on Campus Conference the weekend of Nov. 15th.

What To Expect:

• The four undergraduate student councils are co-sponsoring a free screening of The Nightmare Before Christmas on Nov. 2nd at 11 p.m. in Lerner Cinema. Tickets, snacks, and refreshments are free, but students must reserve tickets in advance through the TIC office.
  • The Food Advisory Board is working to create a student group to discuss how to make Barnard a safer place for students with food allergies. Any students interested in joining should contact Elisabeth Stam at ejs2188@barnard.edu
  • The junior class dinner will be held on Nov. 16th 6:00-7:30 p.m. in the James Room in Barnard Hall. The theme is Saturday Night Live, and several student comedy groups will be performing.
  • A transfer student meet-and-greet between recent transfer students and ones from previous years will be held on Nov. 6th from 8-10 p.m. in the Altschul Atrium.
  • On Wednesday afternoon, SGA emailed student body announcing that Renée Kraiem, BC '14 and SGA vice president for communications, would be resigning effective at the end of this week. Kraiem said that she chose to step down from her SGA position due to an overloaded academic schedule and her role as co-producer of XMAS!  SGA is currently accepting applications to fill her vacancy, and will select a replacement during fall break.