As Halloween is quickly approaching, I always like to compare Purim and Halloween. For those of you who don't know, Purim is the Jewish Holiday where we Jews dress up and get wasted to celebrate yet another time when people wanted to destroy us and then didn't.
So, let us analyze:
1. According to the Wikipedia definition "Purim (Hebrew: פּוּרִים (help·info) Pûrîm "lots", from the word pur, related to Akkadian pūru) is a Jewish holiday that commemorates the deliverance of the Jewish people in the ancient Persian Empire from a plot to destroy them. The story is recorded in the Biblical Book of Esther (Megillat Esther)."
According to the Wikipedia definition "Halloween or Hallowe'en (/ˌhæləˈwin, -oʊˈin, ˌhɒl-/; a contraction of "All Hallows' Evening"), also known as All Hallows' Eve, is a yearly celebration observed in a number of countries on October 31, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day. It initiates the triduum of Hallowmas, the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed believers."
2. Halloween costumes search results:
Purim costumes search result:
3. Halloween Iconic Snack: Candy Corn
Purim Iconic Snack: Hamintashin (a triangular cookie filled with a yummy filling like jelly) to represent the Haman's (the bad guy of the tale) hat.
4. The Halloween Loot: On Halloween children go to houses "trick or treating" by knocking on doors in costumes and asking for candy.
The Purim Loot: On Purim children (sometimes adults depending on if their children are out of the house) and their families deliver "Mishloach Manot", gift baskets with candy and drinks, to their neighbors and relatives homes. Children are usually rewarded a dollar for each delivery.
5. On college campus Halloween and Purim are quite similar. Everyone goes hard in costume. In fact, the Talmud states that one is to drink to the point of not knowing the difference between "cursed is Haman" and "blessed is Mordechai." Haman and Mordechai are the bad guy and the good guy of the Purim story respectively. Perhaps on Purim the costumes are less slutty, but that really depends on where you are celebrating. The only stark difference is that before the celebrations it is customary to read the story of Purim from the Megillah.
6. Halloween Alcohol of choice: Everything?
Purim Alcohol of choice: Wine....then everything else.
7. Symbols of Halloween: Ghosts, Goblins, Witches, Saints, Candy, Pumpkins, Slutty costumes.
Symbols of Purim: Mordechai, Queen Ester, Haman's hat (see above), Wine, Candy, Noise makers.