Sports | Cross Country

Cross country continues strong performances ahead of Ivy championships

• Running ahead | After a historic start, the Lions carried their momentum into contests at the Wisconsin Adidas Invitational and Princeton Invitational.

The men’s and women’s cross country teams continued their remarkable seasons with strong finishes this Saturday at the Wisconsin Adidas Invitational.

The men are in outstanding mid-season shape with a sixth-place finish. They accumulated 261 points in the 8k to outpace fellow top-10 opponents No. 6 Arkansas and No. 10 Princeton, but fell short of the winner, No. 3 Northern Arizona. Senior Jacob Sienko led the Lions with a 34th-place finish in 23:53. Junior Daniel Everett and senior John Gregorek closely followed with identical times of 23:55 for 40th and 41st place, respectively.

Junior Waverly Neer posted an exceptional time of 20:05 for the women, nabbing 14th place in the 6k. The next Columbia women to finish were sophomore Olivia Sadler and senior Chelsea Carrick, whose times placed them 120th and 150th, respectively. Facing their stiffest competition of the season to date, the women earned 664 points and 28th place overall.

Several Columbia runners also competed in the Princeton Invitational on Saturday. The women had two top-10 finishers, with first-year Pegah Kamrani in 9th and junior Aryn Foland in 10th, and earned a runner-up finish overall. On the men’s side, the Lions finished sixth on the strength of junior Daniel Nestor’s 19th-place finish and sophomore Marc Violone’s 22nd-place finish.

The Lions will next compete at the Ivy League Championships, which will be held at Princeton on Nov. 1.

sports@columbiaspectator.com@CUSpecSports