Sports

After two quarters, football down 17-3 to Lehigh

At halftime, the Lions trail Lehigh, 17-3.

The Lions offense got off to a good start on Saturday afternoon. With sophomore Trevor McDonagh under center for Columbia, the Lions put together a 69-yard drive on their first possession. Though they were unable to come away with a touchdown, senior kicker Luke Eddy drilled a 23-yard attempt to put the home team up, 3-0. 

Lehigh countered with a long drive of its own. Quarterback Brandon Bialkowski led his team on a 59-yard drive that set up a 22-yard field goal which evened the score at 3-3.

A few drives later the Mountain Hawks seemed to be in position to score once again. Lehigh had a second-and-goal from the Columbia 17 following a holding call. But Bialkowksi's pass was tipped at the line and intercepted by sophomore defensive tackle JD Hurt.

Columbia proved unable to turn that takeaway into points.

With first-year Kelly Hilinski now at quarterback, senior running back Marcorus Garrett gave the Lions a huge boost with a 29-yard run. But the drive eventually stalled, and Eddy's 46-yard field goal attempt was no good.

Lehigh got another chance in the red zone, and this time the Mountain Hawks did not come away empty handed. Bialkowski found wide-open tight end Tyler Coyle in the end-zone from six yards out to put the visitors up, 10-3.

The Mountain Hawks quickly got another chance to add to their lead.

On the ensuing kickoff, sophomore linebacker Max Keefe fumbled the ball and Lehigh recovered to put itself in excellent position to score. Just a few plays later, Bialkowksi found wide receiver Lee Kurfis from 10 yards out to extend Lehigh's lead to 17-3. Lehigh missed a field goal to end the half, keeping the Light Blue's deficit at 14.

You can watch the Light Blue on NBC Sports Network and follow the action with us on Twitter @CUSpecSports.