Sports | Volleyball

Volleyball hits the road to face Dartmouth, Harvard

• Youjin Jenny Jang for Spectator
    room for improvement | After senior Savannah Fletcher's injury last week, the Lions, 1-2 in Ivy play, will face Dartmouth and Harvard on the road on Friday and Saturday, respectively.

The volleyball team (3-9, 1-2 Ivy) has a good chance to improve its record with weekend matches against Dartmouth and Harvard.

“Dartmouth is 0-3, but they lost a close match at Yale and a very close match at Brown,” head coach Jon Wilson said. “It’s a little more challenging in any league, anywhere when you’re on the road, so you really got to bring your game face, and you have to serve tough on the road. In football, you got to bring your kicking game on the road, and in volleyball, you got to bring your serving game on the road.”

Given how close the teams are in the Ivy League and the number of perceived upsets in the current standings, the Lions are not taking any game for granted.

“The Ivy League has been a toss-up of wins and losses so far,” senior Savannah Fletcher said. “We’re just hoping to get back into our winning mindset when we go up at Dartmouth. It should be a good game. We’ll have a nice long drive so we can prepare and really bring our A game back to the court and show them what we’re made of.”

After Fletcher’s season ended due to an injury in last week’s win against Penn, the team needed to fill the gap left in her abscence.

“It is frustrating and disappointing to no longer be physically capable of contributing,” Fletcher said. “But it’s true, after my fall in Penn’s game on Friday, the team really stepped it up and channeled that into a victory, which was an amazing moment of growth for our team, and I really hope we continue to mature and grow as a group for the rest of the season.”

Still, service pressure has been an area of concern for the Lions. But any statistical improvements are most likely to be seen in the number of other team’s attacking errors and the Lions’ blocks.

“We’ve never been a high-production ace team because we invest a lot in tactical serving as well as high-pressure serving,” Wilson said. “But you can get at it either way, through good tactics in changing rhythm and location and depending on the formation you’re facing, or you can just send in a nasty, aggressive serve over there, and so far our strength has been on the side of the tactical.”

Over the last week in practice, the Light Blue squad has progressed in a number of facets on both offense and defense.

“Our rhythm in the offense is coming back,” Wilson said. “And also, our block on the outside, that bothered us a bit last weekend. We weren’t as sharp as we used to be in that respect. It has picked up a little bit as well. If we block better, serve tough, keep the rhythm in our offense, we can have a really successful weekend.”

The Lions will play at Dartmouth on Friday at 7 p.m., then travel to Harvard the following day for their match at 5 p.m.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports