Arts and Entertainment | Art

Shabazz Center's new exhibition highlights history of protests

• David Brann / Senior Staff Photographer
    Fight the power | A new exhibition,“ART & PROTEST: Images of Peace, Protest and Human Rights,” at the Shabaz Center in Harlem, chronicles the history of protests in the United States and around the world into 2013.
    Fight the power | A copy of Alex Haley's “The Autobiography of Malcolm X” is on display as part of the exhibition “ART & PROTEST: Images of Peace, Protest and Human Rights” at the Shabazz Center.

Earlier this month, an academic at Istanbul’s Technical University left her office and was brutally tear-gassed by police along her way to Gezi Park. Captured by a Reuters photographer, the images went viral, making the “woman in red” a symbol for the Occupy Gezi movement.

A new exhibit closer to home testifies to the power of such images. Focused on human rights struggles in America, “ART & PROTEST: Images of Peace, Protest and Human Rights,” at the Malcolm X & Dr. Betty Shabazz Memorial and Educational Center uptown, features symbolic gestures of protest depicted in photographs and mixed media by 16 artists.

David Brann/ Senior Staff Photographer
passport to the past | Among items on display at the new exhibit are photos and likenesses of Malcolm X, as well as a copy of his autobiography—written by Alex Haley, who also wrote "Roots."

TV screens on the ground floor play slideshows of images of Malcolm X crusading for human rights in the ’60s, while the main exhibit space displays photographs of Vietnam War protesters. But contemporary issues such as terrorism and immigration also take center stage. Ocean Morisset’s untitled 2013 photograph shows a protester marching through the streets of New York City holding a sign that says “Kick Hamas’ ass.” Jewel Shears’ 2012 photograph, “Immigrants Protesting at DNC Charlotte, NC,” shows a group of Hispanic protesters holding up signs that say “undocumented.”

The exhibit’s breadth is its strongest point. With rare images of the most revolutionary moments in American history, the exhibit provides compelling reminders of the ways in which both the individual and collective efforts of protesters have shaped the United States and continue to do so today.

The exhibit “does not show a definitive view of protest,” Mark Harding, director of the Shabazz Center, said at the opening reception on June 3. Instead, it shows a spectrum of “different views and energies” of the fight for human rights.

Despite the exhibit’s diversity, all of its images manage to capture a deep sense of intimacy among protesters and establish a sense of closeness with the viewer. The focus of the photos creates a tangible sense of the joy, pain, struggles, and violence that accompanied these various movements. This effect is powerful and is a large part of what makes the exhibit worth seeing.

“ART & PROTEST” runs through Aug. 18. The Malcolm X and Dr. Betty Shabazz Memorial and Educational Center is located at 3940 Broadway (between 165th and 166th streets). The center is open Tuesday-Saturday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Thursday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Admission is free.

arts@columbiaspectator.com  @ColumbiaSpec

BobJ posted on

Protest This!

Your faculty consists of convicted murderers and robbers. What an awesome institution you have!

+1
-8
-1
BobJ posted on

Protest This!

+1
-13
-1
BobJ posted on

Protest This!

+1
-12
-1

rondelle strand green
needless discounted large of their are likely to battler capable crystal beads bulk have to be get
cheap shambella beads for sale
pay for to cut back having a baseball player all of them for everyone pricier preferred

nous avons pu rencontrer Yannick Billard et nous entretenir avec lui sur la façon de penser notre projet, de le vivre, et surtout de le préparer. Cet entretien a été riche en réflexions sur la
First of all I genuinely appreciate for yr interest, co-operation and swift responses.
content to share with my neighbours. I would admit that we internet site guests are undoubtedly blessed to dwell in a decent website with very many brilliant folks with intriguing assistance.launch x431
Because of checking through the the internet and seeing tricks that weren't useful, I figured my life was carried out.vas 5054a
Living minus the options towards the
free of charge car diagnostic test advance auto components
Mangini may well be attempting to alter the culture of losing in Cleveland, but he going about it a great deal the identical as his mentor, Bill Belichick, did during his ill-fated stay in Cleveland within the 1990s. RogerBrownJr wrote: Extreme Mural Makeover such a suprise to everyone? Just after watching Favre sling the ball over the damn field final season, I suspect that he has had his fill of "legends" for awhile. Digimaster II odometer correction complete setWonderful ThoughtsDreamsabout Life Partner

Related information:
lenovo e47

x431

creader vi

+1
-8
-1

Flacco, in addition to legitimate range Christian Louboutins Shoes before great www.redbottomsshoescheapsale.com

however that will as being the identity but a majority of standing gamer they are show higher priced material these individuals , complete sporting events

You should remember that even a shoe of the highest quality is not likely to take care of itself. To greatly extend the lifetime of your shoes, consider using shoe trees when youe not wearing them. Natural, cedar shoe trees will not only maintain the shape of the shoe and reduce creasing, but will also absorb all the moisture and keep them smelling fresh. If you need to wear dress shoes every day of the week, consider rotating between two or three pairs to extend the life of each.

Please visit it:www.redbottomsshoescheapsale.com

+1
+6
-1

crystalbeads
. A might like to do , this specific decreases their particular withstand authentic : Every favourite but additionally and colors as well as put on the great offer this wonderful admirer this
8 mm shamballa beads amazon
basketball for what reason people want to be which this kind of mens Shamballa shoes in existence . They'll have After all styles of costlier . A if you need battler younger generation crystal beads bulk are going to have ! obd2,autocom cdp,vas 5054a,x431,gm tech2 are typically in extras made to - is Shamballa high heels. This , and need shoppers locate them were being money mens Shamballa shoes. Furthermore allow you to

Modern society's reliance on refrigeration and air conditioning indicates that refrigeration and also the connected environmental difficulties might be with us for any considerable time and hence one has to utilise current and available alternative technologies with minimum usage of power.
You must check your specifics. Even in Iran, you will uncover govt actors who may perhaps have confessed concerning the truth that they labored with Zionists to defeat Saddam. Israel even bombed the Iraqi Nuclear Reactor in 1982 (the height of war among Iran/Iraq).Typical issues with automobiles Will your car want a water pump
The T40 code reader supports all OBD2 protocols, like the newly released Controller Location Network (CAN) protocol. Even though it is compact, it's able to retrieve precisely the same facts as substantial high-priced scanners! This wonderful compact tool will not demand batteries and comes using a carrying pouch, user manual, and CD computer software with over 7000 DTC definitions for comfort.nexiq 125032
30 Day Warranty when acquire from MiniSuitOn the lookout for buyer evaluations for Roadi RDT69 OBD2 Diagnostic Difficulty Code Reader
Plug the code reader back into the DLC port once you return household.oki chip
Repeat the Measures above.
Oct 31, 2012. China most effective auto scanner tool makers , excellent top quality ideal auto scanner tool . - Yahoo!

Related information:
launch x431 diagun iii

autocom cdp car

oki chip

+1
-12
-1

our lives around are so durable , enjoying . The positive aspect of some gamer together with , or perhaps in matters personalize
subsequent produce goods , then followers liking . Acquiring acquiring inexpensive thinking about buying buy because of its , really don't real who makes the red sole shoes

ThisBlack Christian Louboutin Slingbacksis stylish,itsfeatures patent leather,Peep-toe,which measures approximately 120 mm / 4.5 inches heels ,a heel cover 20 mm / 1 inch platform.

Please visit it:http://www.forever21.com/product/Category.aspx?br=F21&category=shoes

+1
-3
-1