Sports | Baseball

Alex Black drafted by Kansas City Royals

• Kiera Wood / Senior Staff Photographer
    royal black | Alex Black was drafted by the Kansas City Royals after a stellar final season for the Light Blue.

The good news kept coming for the baseball team in the afterglow of winning its first-ever NCAA Tournament game, as the Kansas City Royals selected Alex Black, CC ’13, in the 29th round of Major League Baseball’s First-Year Player Draft. 

Kansas City took Black with the eighth pick in the round, making him the 864th overall selection. He was the Lions’ first baseman and closer in the 2013 season. 

Though Black led Columbia in a bevy of offensive categories during his senior season—including batting average, hits, RBIs, and home runs—the Royals featured him on the mound for his first professional action. Black spent the summer with the Arizona League Royals, Kansas City’s rookie-league affiliate, which just finished their season on August 28. He went 2-2 with a 3.24 ERA and three saves in a team-high 15 relief appearances. He also led the squad in games finished with nine and struck out 17 in his 16.2 innings of work. 

For the 2013 Ivy-champion Lions, Black went 0-1 with a 2.76 ERA and five saves in 13 relief appearances. His final outing as a Light Blue pitcher saw him strike out the 12th overall draft pick in the 2013 draft, D.J. Peterson of New Mexico, for the final out of Columbia’s NCAA tournament victory. 

myles.simmons@columbiaspectator.com

KC teams have signed two Lions: Black to BB, Martin to FB.

+1
-31
-1