Sports | Golf

In brief: Men's golf, women's golf, heavyweight rowing, women's rowing

• Matt Sherman / Senior Staff Photographer
    Perfect placement | Michael Yiu watches his ball sail over the sandtrap toward the welcoming green.

MEN'S GOLF

The men’s golf team will wrap up a solid spring season when they head to Owings Mill, Md., to compete in the Ivy League Championships, this weekend. The tournament, which will take place at the Caves Valley Golf Club, will be the second time in just two weeks that the entirety of the Ancient Eight has competed in the same tournament. In the Princeton Invitational two weeks ago, the Light Blue performed well and took fourth place. In spite of the decent finish in Princeton, the Lions enter the championships ranked sixth in the conference with a 303.42 average. The first grouping of the first round is set to tee off at 8 a.m. Friday morning.

WOMEN'S ROWING

Coming off last weekendís impressive sweep of Bucknell at Overpeck Park, N.J., the women's rowing team will head to the Seekonk River to battle Brown and Cornell in the Dunn Bowl, which will be its first road trip since before spring break. The Bears last competed two weeks ago on the Seekonk, when they swept Rhode Island. The Big Red put in a decent effort at the Clemson Invite, where its first varsity eights took third out of the field of six and its second eights took first. The action begins Saturday morning in Providence, R.I.

HEAVYWEIGHT ROWING

Coming off a second-place finish in the Blackwell Cup, the No. 10 heavyweight men’s rowing squad will be at home this weekend as it hosts No. 13 Boston University and No. 14 Syracuse at Overpeck Creek, N.J., Saturday morning. The Orange and the Terriers will compete for the Conlan Cup, while the Lions and the Terriers will go head to head for the Doc Lusins Trophy. Last Saturday, the Terriers defeated Dartmouth in all races except for the 3V/4V, while the Orange finished third against Cornell and Navy in the battle for the Goes Trophy. The first race will begin Saturday at 9 a.m.

Kyle Perrotti

WOMEN'S GOLF

The women’s golf team begins the three-day, 54-hole 2013 Ivy League Championship this weekend. The team will travel to Bedminster, N.J to compete at the Trump National Bedminster Golf Course. Only five members of the Lions’ nine person team are attending the championship. Juniors Michelle Piyapattra and Jane Dong and freshmen Spenser Krut, Monique Ishikawa, and Lilette Mocio will compete. The Lions hope to be serious contenders as they battle for the Ivy League title with Piyapattra—the defending Ivy League Player of the Year—leading the team. She has had an equally impressive season this season, as she is currently ranked 8th in the Ivy League with a 76.47 average round score and a 4.82 average par score. Krut and Ishikawa, who is ranked 19th in the Ivy League, were part of a four-way tie for first place in the recent Roar-EE Invitational. Both Mocio and Dong, ranked 22nd in the Ivy League, have been key competitors and have contributed to the Lions’ two consecutive top-five finishes to close the regular season. Despite their fourth-place ranking, the Lions’ recent success suggests that they will offer a stellar performance at the Ivy League Championship. 

Fans can follow the championship’s live scoring through Golfstat.com.

Sara Blad

You do realize that the women traveled to Philadelphia a few weeks ago and beat Yale and Penn, right?

Come on, Spec.

+1
-4
-1