Sports | Softball

Light Blue softball faces Marist in doubleheader at home on Tuesday

• David Brann / Senior Staff Photographer
    clutch caggiano | The Lions, led by sophomore Liz Caggiano, will face Marist twice at home on Tuesday.

After splitting last weekend’s series against Cornell, the Columbia softball squad will face Marist twice at home on Tuesday.

Over the weekend, the Lions (18-18, 6-6 Ivy) played back-to-back doubleheaders against the Big Red, dropping both of Saturday’s games before coming back to win both of Sunday’s. On Saturday, the Lions were plagued by their inability to bring runners home. In Saturday’s second game, which Cornell won 6-0, the Big Red tallied only three more hits than the Light Blue. But while the Big Red turned nine hits into six runs, the Lions couldn’t capitalize on any of their six hits.

Though only 15-17 on the season, Marist hasn’t had any trouble converting base runners into runs over the past few weeks. On Sunday, the Red Foxes scored seven runs with only 10 hits on their way to a 7-5 victory over Niagara. Likewise, in last Wednesday’s 8-0 trouncing of Lafayette, they turned only nine hits into eight runs. 

Still the Lions will look to replicate some aspects of last Sunday’s games come Tuesday. Junior Emily Caruthers and sophomore Liz Caggiano stood out for the Light Blue in Sunday’s games. After the Big Red scored two runs in the top of the first inning, Caruthers led the Lions to a 3-2 comeback victory with a first-inning single that eventually led to a run and an RBI double in the third inning. Caruthers has performed consistently all season, leading the Light Blue with her .358 batting average over 36 games. 

Caggiano proved equally important in Sunday’s second game, tallying three RBIs with a double to left field in the bottom of the third.

Alyssa Zahka, Nicole Cheek, and Danielle Koltz have starred offensively this season for Marist. Cheek leads the Red Foxes with 29 RBIs and a .663 slugging percentage. Zahka, who has tallied 28 RBIs, leads the team with 39 hits through 32 games. Koltz and Cheek lead the Red Foxes with 25 runs scored a piece.

Like the Lions, the Red Foxes won two of their four games in back-to-back doubleheaders over the weekend. 

The Lions will face Marist at 3:00 and 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday to close their homestand. 

sports@columbiaspectator.com@CUSpecSports