Arts and Entertainment | Music

BC student Timber-lands a stint in ‘Mirrors’ video

• MIRROR MIRROR | Ariane Rinehart, BC ’15, stars in Justin Timberlake’s video for “Mirrors” and will appear in Darren Aronofsky’s 2014 film “Noah.”

Ariane Rinehart, BC ’15, insists that she’s just like the rest of us. She spends her days going to classes, singing with a cappella group Bacchantae, and volunteering with CU Dance Marathon. She procrastinates by watching TV shows and geeks out about cats and Harry Potter. She also recently starred in Justin Timberlake’s music video for his new hit song “Mirrors.”

Balancing several auditions per week with her coursework and extracurricular involvements, Rinehart seizes every opportunity she can to audition in the city for commercials, TV shows, and movies.

“If you see a TV show or movie with a girl around my age, I’ve probably auditioned for it,” Rinehart said.

For Timberlake’s video, the hours spent auditioning paid off.

Rinehart was told the general concept of the music video, but did not have a script, so it was her job to improvise and follow the directions that she was given.

A few days after her “Mirrors” audition, which tested how she looked on camera and how she followed directions and improvised, she received an early morning call from her agent saying, “I hope you like Justin Timberlake.”

The whole process was condensed into one weekend in early March, with a choreography run-through on Friday, a four-hour vintage costume fitting in Brooklyn on Saturday, and filming all day Sunday on the Upper East Side.

“The scale of it was fantastic,” Rinehart said. “The amount of crew members and cameras and equipment, hair, makeup, wardrobe … it was insane and very professional, with a lot of attention to detail.”

Since the video was posted a week ago, not only have almost 3 million people seen her on YouTube, but she has also found herself in Tumblr GIFs for the video and, more locally, has become a subject of attention on campus.

“Honestly, the whole thing feels so odd to me,” Rinehart said. “There are so many incredible people here doing incredible things, things that are even more amazing, but we don’t focus on it.”

And Rinehart, who has had an agent in New York since age 12, already has an impressive list of acting-related accomplishments: an Apple commercial before beginning college, a part in a Soundgarden music video last semester, and the role of Eve in Darren Aronofsky’s 2014 religious drama “Noah,” which she filmed last summer in Iceland. Despite all these accomplishments and her GIFability, she maintains a humble attitude toward her career.

“Ideally, I would love to act in film and television, but I know that it’s a really fickle business,” Rinehart said. “I’m a ‘cross that bridge when we get to that’ kind of person.”

For now, Rinehart is happy keeping a foot in both the academic and entertainment worlds.

“I love auditioning and the work I’ve been doing, but I also love being at school and I love Barnard,” she said. “Things are going great for me right now, so I’m going to keep on that path.”

jenny.payne@columbiaspectator.com | @jennayne

Muito bonita essa menina será que tenho uma chance com ela tenho 17 anos moro no Canadá e so estudante

+1
-1
-1