Sports | Basketball

Lions top Quakers, end 3-game losing streak

For the first time in nearly two weeks, the men's basketball team came out on top, securing a 58-41 home win over Penn.

The Lions (11-13, 3-7 Ivy) started strong against Penn (7-19, 4-5 Ivy), led by the freshman backcourt duo of Maodo Lo and Grant Mullins. The two guards led the Light Blue with eight points apiece in the first half, as Lo followed a strong performance against Princeton with another solid night. Mullins bounced back from a forgettable outing in which he shot 2-of-10 from the floor and missed all four of his three-point attempts.

A pair of threes by Lo capped off a hot run for the Lions and gave the home team a 25-11 lead with 6:55 to go in the first half, and senior forward John Daniels gave Columbia a boost with his hustle. Daniels tumbled into press row to keep alive a possession that resulted in a Lo trey, and came up with a huge block at the other end to give the Lions an additional spark.

Senior point guard Brian Barbour drilled a three-pointer to put the Lions up 28-11, and after Penn went on a 14-6 run, he hit a floater as the clock was winding down to give Columbia a 35-25 halftime lead.

The second half got off to a very rough start for both teams. After more than seven minutes of play, the two squads had only eight second-half points combined, and with 3:58 remaining in the game Columbia's shooting clip for for the second half sat at a dismal 11.1 percent.

The Lions had a brief scare when Lo came off the floor limping after being called for a travel, but he eventually came back in as Columbia secured the win and snapped a three-game losing streak.

eli.schultz@columbiaspectator.com | @CUspecsports

This was the Columbia team that I saw pre-Ivy. Pass and cut; pass and cut. Strong defense and hustle, with drives to the basket as well as threes. Mullins & Lo were terrific, as was Cisco's defense. Penn has always been an easier team to beat than Princeton because the play lots of one on one and rely on their athletic abilities. Tonight they could do very little against CC.

+1
0
-1