Sports | Basketball

Lions fall at home to Princeton, take 2nd-straight blowout loss

The Lions lost their third-straight game tonight, as Princeton picked up a convincing 65-40 win at Levien Gymnasium.

Though freshman point guard Maodo Lo gave Columbia (10-13, 2-7 Ivy) a 3-0 lead on an early trey, the Lions were dominated inside all night long, ultimately falling in a blowout.

Forward Ian Hummer led the way for Princeton (13-9, 6-2 Ivy) with 13 first-half points, as the Tigers outrebouned the Lions 18-8 in the first 20 minutes. The vistors led 36-20 at halftime.

Columbia unable to turn the game around in the second half. They came out flat after the intermission, allowing Princeton to increase its lead to 22 before sophomore guard Steve Frankoski hit a three to give the home team its first bucket of the second half three minutes in.

But Columbia was unable to build up any momentum, as Princeton pulled away. There were times in the second half when the Tigers had doubled the Light Blue's score.

Lo was the lone bright spot for Columbia, as the Berlin native led the home team with 15 points. Frankoski's six was the Lions' next highest point total.

eli.schultz@columbiaspectator.com | @CUspecsports

I am afraid CC was out coached, out shot, out rebounded, out hustled and out of the game. I have been coming to games since WW2 (my dad went to CC) and this was as bad as it has ever gotten. Dribble, dribble, run the clock down to 2 seconds and take a bad shot or have the time clock expire, or bad passes that led to layups. Watch Princeton run an offense. Pass, pass, pass and shoot; rebound a miss and score.
Picked for 3rd; might end up last. I guess new player evaluations are needed. Lets hope tonight is a win.

+1
0
-1