Admins to review Frontiers fiasco

After yesterday's bizarre performance in the Frontiers of Science lecture from physics professor Emlyn Hughes, the university has issued  a response saying that administrators will review the incident. See the full statement from University spokesperson Robert Hornsby below:

Universities are committed to maintaining a climate of academic freedom, in which the faculty members are given the widest possible latitude in their teaching and scholarship. However, the freedoms traditionally accorded the faculty carry corresponding responsibilities.  Columbia’s Faculty Handbook states that “In conducting their classes, faculty should promote an atmosphere of mutual tolerance, respect, and civility [and] should confine their classes to the subject matter covered by their courses.”  While one must exercise caution in judging excerpts from a lecture or short presentations from an entire course outside of their full context, the appropriate academic administrators are currently reviewing the facts of this particular presentation in quantum mechanics.

fuck you. emlyn hughes is amazing. he was a full professor at Caltech with awards for teaching before coming here to time on his flights to CERN .

+1
0
-1

Let's keep things in perspective. The problem isn't with the subject, but with this particular incident. It's obvious the teachers will need to be better chosen.

+1
0
-1
Give posted on

whoever came up with "frontears" a prize.

+1
0
-1
There have been worse posted on

What about the econ class with Gulati where he broadcasted a soccer match which blatantly disregards the administration's policy that instructors "should confine their classes to the subject matter covered by their courses."

+1
0
-1
Lecturer David posted on

There is a message in Hughes' lecture intro, meant to provoke students into thinking. Why don't you focus your attention on what that message might be instead of advocating critical thinking-free approaches that involve "caution" and tend to advertise student experience that is as bland as the politically correct-filled content of this editorial?

+1
0
-1