Sports | Basketball

Princeton wins its 30th and 31st consecutive conference games

Women’s basketball fans saw several close contests this weekend among the Ancient Eight, as well as a few high-octane scoring fests. But the weekend belonged to Princeton, as the New Jersey powerhouse ran its Ivy winning streak to 31. Elsewhere, Penn swept Harvard and Dartmouth for the first time in nine years.

Feb. 15
YALE AT CORNELL, 67-58

The halftime scoreboard showed Yale (9-13, 4-4 Ivy) leading 27-23, but Cornell (11-10, 3-4 Ivy) stole the momentum when Shelby Lyman hit a jumper at the buzzer. Cornell continued its push in the second half, opening a 34-30 lead after getting off to an 11-3 run. Cornell’s Allyson DiMagno was a major contributor to the surge, scoring 15 of her game-high 23 points in the second half. But Yale withstood the attack, using a 6-0 to go up 59-50 with 2:25 remaining, and held on to win 67-58. Yale’s Megan Vasquez tallied her 1,300th career point with her first basket of the game.

PENN VS. HARVARD, 77-72

Harvard (13-8, 4-3 Ivy) jumped out ahead, 7-6, but Penn (12-9, 5-2 Ivy) led the close game for most of the first half. Harvard closed the first period with a 7-2 run and trailed by only three at halftime. Penn seemed to take control in the second half when it opened a 43-33 lead, but Harvard stormed back. Harvard’s Temi Fagbenle’s layup brought the Crimson within two with less than a minute left, but Penn made five of six free throws in the last 31 seconds to seal the 77-72 victory.

PRINCETON VS. DARTMOUTH, 77-65

Princeton (16-5, 7-0 Ivy) earned its 30th consecutive win with its 77-65 victory over Dartmouth (6-15, 4-3 Ivy). The game began as a defensive struggle. Neither team scored before the Tigers’ Kristen Helmstetter hit a shot at 3:12 into the game. The lead seesawed until Princeton secured a 35-29 lead with an 8-2 run going into halftime, a lead the team held for the rest of the game. The Tigers started the second half with an eight-point run from Niveen Rasheed, the Ivy League co-player of the week, who scored 17 of her 25 points after the break.

Feb. 16
PRINCETON VS. HARVARD, 67-51

Harvard opened the game with a 5-0 run and held a seven-point lead with 14:58 remaining in the first half, but that was just a prelude to Princeton’s offensive surge. Michelle Miller’s three-pointer gave Princeton a 20-19 lead, which the Tigers would not relinquish. Princeton’s 67-51 win was its 31st consecutive Ivy-victory. Blake Dietrick led the way for the Tigers with a career-high 19 points.

CORNELL VS. BROWN, 60-58

Cornell (11-10, 3-4) opened a 17-4 lead with 12:42 left in the first half, but Brown’s 12-2 run tied the game at 19. The Big Red responded with 10 consecutive baskets and led by six at the half. The Bears’ 12-2 run tied the game at 40 with 10:16 remaining, and Brown led by five with just over two minutes left. But Cornell’s 7-0 run in the last 1:24, capped by Clare Fitzpatrick’s free throws with six seconds left, secured the victory.

PENN VS. DARTMOUTH, 63-40

Penn dominated Dartmouth throughout the game, holding a double-digit lead for all but the first two minutes of the second half. Dartmouth shot a higher percentage from the field and grabbed more rebounds, but Penn ruthlessly exploited Dartmouth’s numerous turnovers. Points on turnovers told the tale, as Penn outscored Dartmouth 24-0 in the category. Penn’s Keiera Ray was awarded Ivy League Co-player of the Week and Rookie of the Week after amassing 50 points over two games this weekend. Ray had a career-high 31 points against Harvard and a game-high 19 points against Dartmouth.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUspecsports

What a well-written piece! Go Tigers!

+1
0
-1