Sports | Basketball

Lions suffer blowout road loss to Bulldogs

NEW HAVEN, CONN. — The Lions were unable to get back on their feet after a tough last-minute loss to Brown on Friday night, falling to the Bulldogs, 75-56.

Yale (10-15, 4-4 Ivy) got off to a hot start, and led 7-0 after a three by guard Austin Morgan. When sophomore guard Steve Frankoski hit a three to give Columbia (10-12, 2-6 Ivy) its first points of the night, the home team already had a 9-3 lead.

Another three from Frankoski brought the Light Blue to within three, and though the Lions could not get any closer they hung around for a while before Yale blew the game open.

Senior center Mark Cisco made the score 14-11 with an old-fashioned three, but Yale reeled off a 10-2 run and never looked back. By halftime, the Bulldogs held a 43-21 lead after 20 minutes of superb shooting. Yale more than doubled Columbia's field goal percentage in the first half, shooting 66.7 percent from the floor to the Light Blue's 31.8 percent.

The second half started out poorly for the Lions, who trailed 52-26 at one point. Columbia cut the Yale lead to 16 after freshman forward Brad Gilson hit his second three of the night with 6:27 to play, but the Bulldogs quickly regained control of the game.

Yale held a comfortable 18-point lead with two minutes to play, and ultimately closed out a 75-56 victory.

Frankoski led the Lions with 16 points, while Gilson scored 11 points in his first significant action of the season.

Nice summary of what happened, but can you follow up with why? CU was favored to win, after all, and this year, at least, having the wheels fall off so badly is unusual.

+1
+1
-1

What went wrong this year? This was supposed to be a really good year.

+1
0
-1
UnionLeague posted on

I'm going to the Princeton game on Friday, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. As they say on Broadway, break a leg.

+1
-4
-1