Sports | Football

Defensive coordinator Lempa takes job at Boston College

Columbia football has some reorganizing to do after the program announced Thursday that defensive coordinator and secondary coach Kevin Lempa has accepted a job with Boston College as its secondary coach.

This will mark the third time Lempa has coached for the Eagles, with previous stints from 1981-1990 and 2003-2006.

The Light Blue defense made significant improvements in Lempa’s one year at the helm. After finishing last in the league in scoring and total defense in 2011, giving up 414.3 yards and 32.8 points per game, the Lions vaulted to fourth in total defense, surrendering 373.5 yards per game, and sixth in points at 27.2 per game. The passing defense especially showed improvement: The Lions finished third in the Ancient Eight in the category, yielding just 221.9 yards through the air in 2012 compared to 249.6 the year before.

"Change is part of what we do, every game, and every season," head coach Pete Mangurian said in a statement. "We must anticipate and make adjustments to the unexpected. It wasn't an easy decision for Kevin. We talked a long time about it. In the final analysis, Kevin had an opportunity to get closer to his family and return to a place that he knows well and feels comfortable at. We all will miss him, both as a person and as a coach."

Mangurian also stressed that continuity will be key with whoever takes over as defensive coordinator, as he wants the players to be as comfortable as possible with the change.

myles.simmons@columbiaspectator.com | @MSmmns210