Sports | Track

Lions stay in the city for second straight meet

Just one week removed from their impressive showings at the Metropolitan Championships, the Columbia men’s and women’s indoor track and field squads are set to compete in the esteemed Armory Collegiate Invitational this weekend, where they will race on home turf for the second consecutive meet. The Armory Invitational marks the midpoint of the indoor season for the Lions, with the most important meet, the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships, looming ahead at the end of the month.

Since its inception in 2001, the Armory Collegiate Invitational has attracted more than 100 teams from across the nation and the world, showcasing the domestic and international collegiate talent in the sport today. This year is no exception, with a competitive field comprised of several Ivy League squads, and many nationally ranked teams.

On the women’s side, the top seven nationally ranked teams—Clemson, Kansas, Oregon, Arkansas, LSU, Texas A&M, and Florida—are all expected to race, along with top 25 contenders Iowa State, Texas, Ivy rival Dartmouth, Stanford, and South Carolina. The men’s field includes the top four teams in the national rankings—Arkansas, Florida, Texas A&M, and Oregon and six other squads in the top 25: LSU, Texas, Mississippi State, BYU, Stanford, and Oklahoma.

How the Light Blue indoor squads fare against the nation’s elite will undoubtedly serve as a measure of the progress they have made since the beginning of the season.

Junior Marvellous Iheukwumere will be running in the 60-meter dash and the 200-meter dash, the latter of which she won at last week’s meet. Senior Mallory Anderson will compete in the 3,000-meter run, fresh off a victory in the mile race. Freshman Madelyn Magee and sophomore Nadia Eke will compete in the high jump and the triple jump, respectively, both events in which the women took first place just one week ago.

The Armory Collegiate Invitational is expected to begin early Friday morning and end Saturday night.

sports@columbiaspectator.com

forget posted on

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. For more info see the link below.

forget
www.inspgift.com

+1
+2
-1