Sports | Track

Track team to run in pair of New York meets

The Columbia men’s and women’s indoor track teams will compete in their second and third meets of the season at the Metropolitan Championships and the New York Road Runners College Night at the Armory this weekend. After using last week’s season opener and second place finish at Yale to gauge their fitness level in a competitive environment, the Lions are set to make progress on their home turf.

“A lot of us will be running in a different event than we did last week, so we’ll all be trying to perform our best with the goal to improve our times and win our heats and races,” junior mid-distance runner Denzel Woode said in an email.

The women will return to Mets as the defending champions, having defeated St. John’s by a 23-point margin in a field of 14 teams last season. The Light Blue dominated the distance events, claiming first place in the 4x800 meter relay, the 3,000-meter run, the mile run, and the 1,000-meter run.

The men did not compete in the championships in 2012 but are looking to make a statement this time around.

“We are out there training every day, we want our races to reflect the progression in our training from meet to meet,” Woode said.

The Lions will have an additional opportunity to track their progression at NYRR College Night, the second meet of the doubleheader for the weekend. Neither the men nor the women competed in this meet last season.

'Columbia will be running in a field of 15 teams at College Night, including Ivy rivals Cornell, Penn, and Princeton.

But whatever the meet, each athlete who takes the field will have the same goal, Woode said.

“The team is looking to work on aspects of our racing. Improving will help us lower our times and prepare us for the conference meet,” Woode said.