Arts and Entertainment | Miscellaneous

Neighborhood Watch: Astoria

Astoria has been touted as the “next best neighborhood in New York” for a long time now. With cheap rent and tons to do, Astoria is looking like a better option for post-grad Columbians. Better start visiting now! Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden 2919 24th Ave. This is the oldest outdoor beer garden in New York City. With a plethora of eccentric and standard beers that will impress even the best beer snob, this is a must for Astoria. Stop by for some food and, of course, some beer. You can study tomorrow. Museum of the Moving Image 35th Avenue at 37th Street The museum is in the space that once held Astoria Studio (Paramount Pictures), but today, the museum itself is the site to see. With frequent events ranging from the “Signal to Noise” parties yo screenings of “The Muppets,” the museum is a great stop for either night or day. Grand Café 3701 30th Ave. Come here for a frappe, or brunch and people-watching, and you’ll feel like you’ve been transported to Europe. Astoria is known for a plethora of outdoor cafes, especially Greek establishments, and Grand Café will not disappoint. Socrates Sculpture Park (and Noguchi Museum) 32-01 Vernon Blvd. Stop by the Noguchi Museum, which features the art and sculptures of Japanese artist Isamu Noguchi. Then saunter down the street to enjoy Socrates Sculpture Park, located only a block away. The park is an outdoor museum and public space featuring artists’ sculptures and multimedia installations. Little Egypt and Hookah at Layali Beirut Café 25-60 Steinway St. Lately, Astoria has developed two blocks full of Egyptian and Middle Eastern restaurants and cafés. Layali Beirut is a great new addition where you can partake in some hookah. Come at the end of your trip and relax for the subway ride home. arts@columbiaspectator.com