News | Morningside Heights

After racking up 90 health violations, M2M hopes to reopen by week's end

• CLOSING TIME | After racking up a whopping 90 health code violations, the city’s health department closed the store last Thursday, but M2M management hopes to reopen by the end of the week.

The city’s health department shut down M2M Mart on Broadway between 114th and 115th streets last week after a restaurant inspection revealed rodents and improper food-handling techniques.

M2M racked up a staggering 90 health code violation points in a report released on Jan. 17. A score of 28 or higher usually earns a C grade.

Bags of rice and shopping baskets blocked the doors and black trash bags covered the windows of the popular Asian convenience store on Tuesday.

Nam Kim, account manager of the M2M East Village store, said that the market hopes to reopen before the end of the week. She said the store is “planning on resolving the situation and getting everything fixed and sanitized.”

“Even though it’s an unfortunate incident, the M2M store provides excellent service,” Kim said. “We plan on continuing service to the community.”

She added that M2M management would work to improve employee sanitation training.

Students were surprised by the violations, but noted the unique role that M2M serves in Morningside Heights.

“It’s quite an inconvenience,” Rebecca Xu, CC ’16, said. “Obviously you don’t want to buy food from a place that had rat sightings.”

She added that she’s only bought packaged foods before.

“M2M was a very convenient place for me,” Yun Qu, SEAS ’16, said. “I don’t have to go all the way to Chinatown or K-Town to get Asian groceries with M2M so close to me.”

She said she hopes the store fixes the problems and opens soon.

Absolute Bagels, another popular Upper West Side eatery, also closed last week because of health violations.

“It’s weird,”Adrian Jaycox, CC ’16, said. “It makes you wonder, what does it say about the entire Morningside food quality?”

But Jaycox said that he will continue to frequent the store after it reopens.

“There’s some degree of confidence in it because of these health inspections,” Jaycox said. “So I’d trust it in the near future. Where else would I go for my Asian cooking instances?”

news@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec