Sports

BASKETBALL Columbia at Cornell—Final score: COLUMBIA 67 - CORNELL 58

Read our full recap of the Lions' first Ivy win here

ITHACA, N.Y.— At halftime, Columbia leads the Big Red, 34-31. The Lions had trouble dealing with the Cornell press early on, as the Big Red captured an early lead. But Columbia bounced back, as sophomore guard Steve Frankoski hit a couple big threes. Senior forward John Daniels was also a big factor for the Light Blue in the first half, providing a spark with his hustle. Daniels grabbed some big rebounds, took a charge, and  contributed a pair of field goals, one of which was a dunk.

Whether or not the Lions can maintain their lead in the second half may depend in large part depend on their ability to keep making threes. Almost half of Columbia's points have come from beyond the arc.

Look out for second-half updates on Twitter (@CUSpecSports).

The Lions (8-6, 0-0 Ivy) will play their first Ivy League game of the 2012-13 season this afternoon against a dangerous Cornell (8-9, 0-0 Ivy) squad. The Big Red has won four of its last five games, and hung triple digits on SUNY Old Westbury in its last outing. Columbia has also played well recently, and enters the contest having won three of four. The Light Blue fell to Holy Cross, 78-69, in its last outing. Take a look at our keys to the game after the jump.

KEYS TO THE GAME

1. Crash the Boards

The Lions were outrebounded 29-24 against Holy Cross. Columbia will need to close this margin against the Big Red, and ensure that the Cornell offense is not given any second chances.

2. Stop the scorers

Two players were responsible for 60 of Holy Cross' 78 points in the Lions' loss on Jan. 8. Big Red forward Shonn Miller is averaging 10.2 points per game and guard Jonathan Gray has scored at least 18 points in four of Cornell's last five games, so Columbia needs to prevent Cornell's marquee guys from getting too comfortable.

3. No Road Woes

Columbia was 1-6 in Ivy road games a year ago, a stat the Lions will need to improve drastically to have a chance at a league title. The Light Blue has a chance to start things off on the right foot this afternoon.

CC@hotmail.com posted on

Lions look great!

+1
0
-1
Rob '13 posted on

Big win on national television no less. Barbour showed why he is an All Ivy League player by ostensibly taking over at the end of the game.

Also, the Barbour, Mullins, Frankoski backcourt with Rosenberg and Cisco down low is a really good line up. A penetrating PG (Barbour) with two spot up shooters on the wings (Mullins and Frankoski) with a versatile forward in Rosenberg, and a rebounder like CIsco on the block seems to work very well.

+1
0
-1
UnionLeague posted on

(Chanting Rythmically)

Let's Go Li-ons claap claap - clap - clap -clap!

(Don't forget Music-Hum) ;-)

+1
0
-1