A&E

You tell us: Does Obamanard still matter?

In this week's Lead, Margaret Boykin examines the legacy of last spring and the sexism that it brought to the forefront of campus discourse. We went and asked students around campus if they thought that the "Obamanard" debacle was still relevant, and what we can still learn from it.

Old news

+1
0
-1

In light of the Bwog comments said about students in groups involved in the brownstone selection process, I think that the Obamanard comments are still relavent. As Columbia students, with the education we receive, we should be very tolerant of people who come from different backgrounds and make certain choices. It's disturbing that some of the smartest students in the world express these intolerant opinions about other students. It's ok to disagree, but it's not ok to say things that really hurt people. The hateful speech, while not reflective of the entire campus community, does say something about our culture as a whole and needs to be addressed.

+1
0
-1
the diana posted on

unrelated: fatema is rad

+1
0
-1
Anon posted on

Why does everyone need to revert to sexism or racism at every issue? Why does each group need to use their minority status or historical significance as a crutch? The Barnard abuse wasn't based on sexism, it is a fact that Barnard does not have the same reputation as an world leader in higher education that the other Columbia schools do. Columbia was jealous and Barnard girls tried to get a bit to heighty mighty. Let it go..

+1
0
-1
anonymous posted on

Care to share why you think this is sensationalist? Are the details of Obamanard exaggerated or lurid? I don't think you read the Bwog comments. People said some awful things, for no real reason. To talk about what this says in a larger context after time has passed is not sensationalist, and if it is, I'm glad, because I was offended last spring.

+1
0
-1
dqueezy posted on

i'm glad we're still having this discussion. elitism, sexism, and general meanness should not be accepted on this campus. we can be better and we should always be striving to be.

+1
0
-1

and people call bwog sensationalist

+1
0
-1