Sports | Fencing

Lions dominate opening dual meet at home

Men’s and women’s fencing teams started their official collegiate season off right as they dominated their way to victory in their opening dual meet of the 2012-2013 campaign.

This meet was the first and only time the Light Blue will take the strip at home this season.

In front of a large crowd at the University (Blue) gym, the men’s squad started off with a commanding 22-5 victory over Stevens, and followed that up with a 18-9 win over New Jersey Institute of Technology.

The men commanded the meet even without three of their top sabre fencers—sophomore Will Spear, sophomore Michael Josephs, and freshman Geoffrey Loss—who all competed at a Junior World Cup event in Dormagen, Germany, on Saturday.

The women outdid the men as they easily defeated Tufts by a score of 23-4. They improved their margin of victory in their final match, defeating NJIT by a score of 25-2.

Under the dual meet format consisting of 27 bouts—nine in each weapon (sabre, epee and foil)—the first team to win 14 bouts wins the match.

Using the meet as an opportunity to gain valuable experience very early in the season, the Lions allowed a number of fencers, especially its younger fencers, to compete in each weapon.

The Lions will next take the strip when they travel to State College, Pa., to compete at the Penn State Invitational on Jan. 12.

sports@columbiaspectator.com