Arts and Entertainment | Miscellaneous

Best Of: Holiday Markets

Artists & Fleas at Chelsea Market

75 Ninth Ave. at 16th Street
Located inside Chelsea Market, an expansive indoor shopping center that is filled with cafés, bakeries, and specialty shops, Artists & Fleas offers a options for everyone. With an eclectic variety of vintage goods, ranging from clothing to jewelry to shoes, this market is the perfect destination for those in search of a unique fashion find. Fashionistas will enjoy browsing through the racks of elegant dress coats from the ’50s, fur-collared military jackets from the ’70s, and brightly patterned shirts from the ’80s. For art lovers, vendors sell pop art and vibrant photographs of the city. For music enthusiasts, there is a record vendor, who doubles as the market’s DJ. Artists & Fleas also has a Brooklyn location (Brooklyn Holiday Bazaar, 70 N. Seventh St., between Wythe and Kent avenues).

Union Square Holiday Market

14th Street and Broadway
Pay a visit to the Union Square Holiday Market—an outdoor market located at Union Square and West 14th St.—for its large selection of handmade goods, such as hand-knit hats and scarves, all-natural soaps, and bags made of recycled plastic. Be sure to check out the market’s variety of ethnic imports and quirky home décor. You’ll find masks and ceramic figurines from Tibet and cast-iron teapots from Japan, as well as alarm clocks that chime with animal sounds and lamps that have color-changing lights. In the mood for a bite to eat? From rustic Persian cuisine to Wafels & Dinges, this market’s dining options are as diverse as its gift options. If the cold gets to you during your stay, warm up with a cup of organic tea or hot cider.

Grand Central Holiday Fair

Lexington Avenue and 42nd Street
Held in Vanderbilt Hall, Grand Central Station’s beautiful Beaux-Arts style event space, the Grand Central Holiday Fair features more than 70 vendors. Stop by for the great selection of accessories and jewelry. From eco-friendly totes and satchels to handmade cloche hats and bold beaded necklaces, unique gift options abound. Other neat finds include antique maps, lavender-scented pillows, and African textiles. Although there are no food vendors at this market, you can satisfy your hunger at Grand Central’s food court, which offers staples like Chinese food and pizza in addition to Indian and Cajun fare.

The Holiday Shops at Bryant Park

42nd Street between Fifth and Sixth avenues
Over 100 vendors gather in Bryant Park’s allées to form this market, where you’ll find eco-friendly and repurposed accessories and jewelry amid cozy handmade loungewear and intricate, wearable art from around the world. From handbags made of candy wrappers and bracelets made of coins to Kashmiri shawls and Nepalese patchwork jackets and shirts, the Holiday Shops offer a plethora of eye-catching items. Like the Union Square Holiday Market, this market features an assortment of food vendors, who offer everything from Turkish stuffed pastries to veggie wraps to grits. Want something lighter? Munch on an artisan soft pretzel, a churro, or some kettle corn.