Sports

FOOTBALL Lions at Brown—Final score: BROWN 22 - COLUMBIA 6

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Columbia drew first blood in Providence this afternoon, but Brown struck back and after two quarters of play the Bears hold a 14-6 lead.

The Lions' first score came in the first quarter on a 27-yard field goal by junior kicker Luke Eddy. Eddy made it 6-0 with a 30-yard field goal in the second quarter.

Brown's offense came alive later in the second, as Bears' quarterback Patrick Donnelly, the reigning Ivy League Player of the Week, threw for a pair of touchdowns. The second touchdown, which was caught by wide receiver Jordan Evans, came on a fourth-down play.

The Lions will need to do a better job of keeping Donnelly under control if they hope to stage a second-half rally.

You can check our our three keys to the game after the jump, and as always follow all the action on our Twitter, @CUSpecSports.

The Lions (3-6, 2-4 Ivy) are here in Providence to take on the Bears (6-3, 3-3) for their last game of the 2012 season. The Light Blue will again need to be at its best this week in facing a strong Brown defense that ranks at or near the top of the league in most defensive categories.

Of course, emotions will be running high as it's the last game for both teams' seniors—and Brown has 26 of them. Given that, the Lions wil have a tough task, but if they play as well as they did last week, they have a good chance to bring home a W.

Three keys to the game

1. Stop the run

Columbia will be taking on a Brown team that loves to run the football. Last week, the Lions held the Big Red to just 94 team rushing yards on 30 attempts. They'll need a similar effort to take down the Bears on Saturday.
2. Maintain possession 
Brown has a league-high 12 interceptions in 2012. In their last away game, the Lions had six turnovers against an overwhelming Harvard defense. The Light Blue will need to hold onto the football to keep control of the game.
3. End the season right
The Lions played their best game of the season so far last weekend, and with all the seniors playing their last game in a light blue uniform, they'll need to leave it all on the field to finish the season 4-6.