Sports | Soccer

Princeton goes undefeated, claims Ivy League title

Last weekend cemented the difference between the top three teams and the field in Ancient Eight women’s soccer. Princeton and Dartmouth both ended their regular seasons on a roll. Although Penn came up short in its effort to earn a share of first, the Quakers did finish third.

BROWN
The Bears fell behind early and were unable to claw back in their last game of the season. Brown outshot Yale 11-8 but came out on the wrong end of a 1-0 scoreline on Sunday. This contest counted as a nonleague match, and the two teams also faced each other on Thursday for a designated Ivy game. Thursday’s conference game was a double-overtime 2-2 draw that saw sophomore forward Chloe Cross and freshman forward/midfielder Kiersten Berg score for the Bears.

CORNELL
The Big Red were blanked by Dartmouth 3-0 on Saturday in its last game of the season. Despite conceding three goals, junior keeper Tori Christ did a solid job in net and recorded 11 saves. The loss sealed Cornell’s fate of a winless season as it finished in the basement of the Ivy standings.

DARTMOUTH
The Big Green notched its seventh consecutive victory in their last game of the regular season, as it beat Cornell 3-0. Junior midfielder Chrissy Lozier was the first of the Big Green to score, followed by sophomore forward Tasha Wilkins and junior midfielder Marina Moschitto in the 66th and 84th minutes, respectively. The Big Green finished the season in second place with 13 total wins, the most the program has had since 2000.

HARVARD
Harvard’s Senior Day saw the Crimson come out on top in a 1-0 contest against Columbia. Freshman midfielder Brooke Dickens emerged as the hero of the day, as she found the back of the net five seconds before the final whistle. Harvard outshot the Lions 18-10 for the game and possessed the ball for most of the second half. The win awarded the Crimson fourth place in the Ancient Eight.

PENN
Penn’s dreams of an Ivy League title were shattered on Saturday as it lost 4-2 to Princeton. The Quakers fell behind in the first half and were shut out for more than two-thirds of the game. Both of Penn’s goals came from sophomore forward Clara Midgley, but they were too little too late. With the loss, the Quakers dropped to third place in the Ivy League.

PRINCETON
The Tigers sealed the deal on their undefeated 2012 Ivy season on Saturday, claiming the league title in the process. Princeton beat Penn 4-2 thanks to a hat trick from sophomore midfielder/forward Lauren Lazo and a final goal from senior midfielder Caitlin Blosser. With the win, the Tigers were awarded a bid to the NCAA tournament and will play West Virginia on Saturday in the first round.

YALE
It was senior forward Mary Kubiuk’s final game as a Bulldog on Sunday, and she ended her career with a bang, scoring the only goal in Yale’s 1-0 win against Brown. The two Eli keepers, sophomore Elise Wilcox and freshman Rachel Ames, were both solid in net and tallied seven saves combined. The two teams faced each other on Thursday as well, in a game that ended in a 2-2 tie after two overtimes. The Bulldogs fell behind early in this contest, but senior midfielder Kristen Forster evened the score midway through the second half and sophomore forward Melissa Gavin gave them the lead before the score was evened again with less than five minutes remaining in regulation.