Sports | Soccer

As Ivy League season nears completion, Cornell leads the conference title race

As the Ivy League season approaches its final weekend of action, Cornell’s victory catapulted it over Brown into the conference’s top spot. Dartmouth, Brown, and Princeton maintained their positions in the top half of the Ivy table while Harvard, Yale, and Penn continued to struggle.

BROWN
Despite pulling ahead early and outshooting their opponents 36-15, the Bears (12-1-3, 4-0-2 Ivy) settled for a 1-1 tie with Yale last Saturday night. Sophomore forward Ben Maurey put Brown on the board on a play started by senior defender Dylan Remick’s corner less than three minutes in. But the Bears could not maintain their lead, as Yale junior forward/midfielder Peter Jacobson equalized in the 20th minute. The Bears continued to apply offensive pressure as they attempted 36 shots, with 12 of those going on goal, but they were foiled by Yale goalkeeper Bobby Thalman. The second-place Bears will finish out the regular season as they face third-place Dartmouth on Friday.

CORNELL
The Big Red (14-1, 5-1 Ivy) found itself on top of the standings after coming from behind to beat Dartmouth 2-1 in a double-overtime thriller. The Yale-Brown tie helped Cornell reclaim sole possession of the top spot from the Bears. Junior midfielder/forward and Ivy Player of the Week Stephen Reisert scored the Big Red’s first goal of the night and later assisted on senior forward Tyler Regan’s game-winner in overtime. Cornell will look to take home its first Ivy title since 1995 as it prepares for its last Ivy game of the season against Columbia.

DARTMOUTH
After getting on the board first, the Big Green (8-7, 4-2 Ivy) fell 1-2 to Cornell on Saturday and now sits in third place in the division. Dartmouth’s lone goal came from sophomore midfielder Colin Heffron in the 29th minute, but the lead did not last long, as Cornell equalized two minutes later. Junior goalkeeper Noah Cohen had seven saves in the contest. Dartmouth will close out Ivy play when it faces Brown on Friday.

HARVARD
On Tuesday, the Crimson (3-10-3, 0-5-1 Ivy) blanked Holy Cross 2-0 in its last home game of the season. Harvard’s two goals came within five minutes of each other, the first scored by senior forward Brian Rogers and the second by senior defender Richard Smith. Harvard fell to Columbia 1-0 three days earlier, in a game that saw just nine shots on goal for both teams combined. The Crimson fell behind with eight minutes left in the first half, and although it finished with both more shots and corner kicks than the Lions, it was unable to finish. Harvard will try to carry this week’s momentum into its next contest against Penn.

PENN
Penn (2-13, 0-6 Ivy) still could not find its elusive first Ivy win this past weekend. The Quakers were defeated 3-0 by Princeton in a game that saw Penn get outshot 12-8. The Quakers matched the Tigers for most of the first half, but conceded their first goal in the 34th minute and continued to falter in the second half. Penn will try for its first and only Ivy win when it takes on Harvard this Saturday.

PRINCETON
The Tigers (7-6-2, 3-1-2 Ivy) had their largest margin of victory in over a year on Saturday, as they shut out Penn 3-0. Princeton went up 1-0 midway through the first half on a goal by freshman forward Thomas Sanner. Princeton’s two remaining goals came from sophomore midfielder/defender Myles McGinley and senior defender Mark Linnville. The Tigers were eliminated from title contention due to Cornell’s win over Dartmouth. Princeton will then travel to New Haven to finish out Ivy play on Saturday against Yale.

YALE
This weekend saw the Bulldogs (4-7-5, 1-2-3 Ivy) match Brown in a 1-1, double-overtime draw. Yale gave up a goal early in the match, but evened the game at one just before halftime on a rebound goal from Jacobson. Senior goalkeeper Bobby Thalman was solid in net following Brown’s initial goal, tallying 11 saves in 110 minutes. Yale is now undefeated in its last three games and will try to make it four when it hosts Princeton for its last game of the season.