Sports | Field Hockey

Light Blue face struggling Harvard, Rutgers in season's final two games

Columbia field hockey has lost their last two Ivy League games and will need to beat Harvard (3-12, 1-5 Ivy) on Saturday in order to clinch a top-half conference finish. The Lions will face Ivy foe Harvard on Saturday before traveling to New Jersey to play Rutgers on Sunday. Harvard has struggled all season and is currently riding a seven-game losing streak, in which it has been outscored 27-5. The Crimson’s offense has been particularly culpable in the team’s struggles, as its 15 goals scored this season ranks last in the conference. Forward Noel Painter has been one of Harvard’s few consistent offensive threats, leading the team with four goals and two assists on the season. Freshman midfielder Caitlin Rea also has contributed, with one goal and four assists so far this season. Harvard has benefitted from a solid goalkeeper in senior Cynthia Tassopoulos, who has made over 100 saves in 2012. Columbia’s last game of the season against Rutgers was originally scheduled for Oct. 28, but was canceled due to Hurricane Sandy. The Scarlet Knights’ (8-10) season has been characterized by inconsistency, with the team alternating between momentum-building winning streaks and sustained stretches of struggle. The Scarlet Knights’ recent performances, though, have been consistently poor, with the team losing its last four games. Rutgers’ offense has been a key factor in its last four losses, as it has only managed to score three goals in 380 minutes of action. Junior Lisa Patrone, who has eight goals and three assists on the season, leads the Scarlet Knights, while junior midfielder Sophie Wright has added six goals. Senior goalkeeper Sarah Stuby has had a solid season for Rutgers as she has made 86 saves and accumulated two shutouts. Saturday’s game against Harvard will start at 12 p.m., while the season finale with Rutgers begins at 2 p.m. sports@columbiaspectator.com