Sports | Rowing

Rowing teams to compete in Princeton Chase

The women’s and men’s rowing teams race in the Princeton Chase this Sunday at 10 a.m. The annual three-mile regatta is hosted on Lake Carnegie, with competitions in lightweight women, open women, lightweight men, and heavyweight men, as well as a small boats event. The Columbia women will look to make a strong showing, capitalizing off on last week’s success at the Head of the Charles Regatta, in which they stopped just short of finishing in the top 10 out of 40 teams, recording an 11th place finish. Last year, the varsity B four took an impressive sixth place at 17:31.91, beating every other B squad. The Light Blue A four finished with a time of 17:37.14 in ninth place. The men’s heavyweight team looks to continue its historic success, as it has come in fifth place out of 38 for the past two years. The varsity A eight raced a time of 13:21:50 in last year’s regatta, rowing 12 seconds longer than first-place Princeton and docking nine seconds off its time from the previous year. Varsity A four snagged eighth out of 40 crews. The men’s lightweight squad also has solid ground on which to build for this year. The Lions’ A boat finished seventh out of 27 in varsity lightweight eights last year. The lightweight fours performed well too, with boat A finishing 11th and boat B finishing 19th. sports@columbiaspectator.com