Sports | Field Hockey

Field hockey to face Yale, Rutgers in pair of weekend contests

• DESANDIS DUO | Senior back Bridget DeSandis and sister Katie are tied for the team lead with nine assists apiece.

Columbia’s field hockey team (8-6, 3-2 Ivy) will try to rebound from a two-game losing streak in a pair of road games this weekend. The Lions will take on Ivy foe Yale on Saturday before traveling to New Jersey to take on Rutgers on Sunday.

Yale (4-10, 1-4 Ivy) has struggled to build off what was a promising start to its season. The Bulldogs are currently in a three-way tie for last place in the Ivy League with Brown and Harvard. The Bulldogs are coming off a 6-1 loss to Albany, in which they were outshot 35 to three. Junior goalie Emily Cain made 15 saves against the Great Danes and has recorded over 100 this season. Junior midfielder Erica Borgo, who has four goals on the season, and senior midfielder Mary Beth Barham, who has three, currently lead the Yale offense.

Columbia head coach Marybeth Freeman said that her team will examine the errors it made against Dartmouth last weekend—the Lions lost, 5-2—to prepare for its match against the Bulldogs.

“The things that we did not do well in this game are going to be our focus in the upcoming week,” Freeman said. “Like we’ve been doing all year, we’ll do our preparation in what we know against Yale. We will understand what they do on both sides of the ball but again it comes down to us, and it comes down to us showing up, and us willing to do the work to get the results we want.”

Rutgers (8-9) has had a fairly inconsistent season so far. The team won three consecutive games in early October before dropping its last three matches. Junior Lisa Patrone, who has eight goals and three assists on the season, leads the Scarlet Knights’ offensive lineup. But Rutgers is far from a one-woman team, as seven players have scored at least four goals this season. To have a chance at coming away with a win, the Lions will have to play well in the first half on Sunday, as the Scarlet Knights have dominated the first 35 minutes of games all season. Rutgers has outscored opponents 20 to 13 in the first half and outshot them 130 to 89.

Columbia will travel to play Yale on Saturday at 12 p.m. and Rutgers on Sunday at 1 p.m.

sports@columbiaspectator.com