Ronnie Myers named interim dental school dean

We reported in March that Ira Lamster, who had been dean of the College of Dental Medicine since 2001, would step down at the end of the academic year. A little more than a month after commencement, University President Lee Bollinger has appointed Ronnie Myers, the school's vice dean for administrative affairs, as interim dean.

Bollinger and Lee Goldman, dean of the Faculties of Health Sciences and Medicine, announced Myers' appointment in a University-wide email. According to their email, Myers has been a Columbia professor since 1982 and a dental school administrator since 1991, and he's also vice chair of the New York State Board of Dentistry. He received his dental doctorate at Columbia and trained here as a pediatric dentist.

See Bollinger and Goldman's full email after the jump.

Dear fellow members of the Columbia community:

We are pleased to announce the appointment of Ronnie Myers, DDS, as the interim dean of the College of Dental Medicine while a national search for a new dean proceeds.  As we wrote in March, Dr. Ira B. Lamster is stepping down as dean and senior vice president of the Columbia University Medical Center after leading the College of Dental Medicine for a decade.

Dr. Myers brings a wealth of academic, clinical and administrative experience, as well as a deep familiarity with the Columbia University Medical Center, to his new responsibilities.  He was appointed Assistant Dean for Clinical Affairs at the College of Dental Medicine in 1991 and was named Associate Dean in 2001.  He became Vice Dean for Administrative Affairs in 2011 and maintains an active practice in general dentistry.  Dr. Myers has been a consultant to the Commission on Dental Accreditation and is currently Vice Chair of the New York State Board of Dentistry.  He also is past chair of the American Dental Education Association Section on Clinic Administration.  Dr. Meyers frequently lectures on clinical infection control and the relationship between systemic disease and oral health.

Dr. Myers trained here as a pediatric dentist at the College of Dental Medicine, completed a fellowship at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, and was in private practice before joining the full-time Columbia faculty in 1982 as director of the General Practice Residency Program at New York-Presbyterian Hospital.  While director, he initiated a screening program for pre-cardiac transplant patients and formed an affiliation with Memorial Sloan-Kettering to develop a two-year oncology program for dental residents.

We once again want to recognize and thank Dr. Lamster for his decade of exemplary leadership of the College of Dental Medicine, a period during which the school established many new research, clinical, and educational programs.  We look forward to his continued role as a member of the Columbia University Medical Center faculty.

Please join us in welcoming Dr. Myers to his new position and thanking Dr. Lamster for his exceptional service to the University.

Sincerely,

Lee C. Bollinger
President
Columbia University

Lee Goldman, M.D.
Dean of the Faculties of Health Sciences and Medicine
Executive Vice President for Health and Biomedical Sciences
Columbia University Medical Center

dqueezy posted on

shy ronnnnnnnie

+1
0
-1

what does "interim" even mean at this university any more, anyway.. let's just call him the new dean, skip the "search committees" and get it over with

+1
0
-1
Ron Jurgensen, DDS posted on

Congrats, Ronnie! You are more than qualified!!!

+1
0
-1
John McCabe, DDS, MD posted on

Dr. Myers,

Congratulations! I wish you much success in your new role.

Dr. Jack McCabe

+1
0
-1
here posted on

It's actually a nice and useful piece of info. I'm satisfied that you just shared this useful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

+1
0
-1
Paul Fitzgerald posted on

Congratulations, Ronnie-
It couldn't have been a better choice or a better guy. I'm sure Frank and Sully would agree with me. All the best in the future and, as I get closer to retiring, I'll try to help CUCDM as much as I can (we finally got the three kids through school). Again, congratulations and all the best to you and your family.
Fitz

+1
0
-1
Maryann posted on

Ahaa, its pleasant conversation concerning this post here at this webpage, I have read all
that, so now me also commenting here.

My site: 高品質 ラウンドトゥ 格安通販 (Maryann)

+1
0
-1
Attorneys posted on

hey there and thank you for your info - I've certainly picked up new things through the following. Used to do however expertise a number of specialized factors using this website, as I experienced to refill the site frequently before I possibly could have it in order to fill correctly. I had been wondering if your web host is alright? Not too I am whining, but slow launching instances times will often impact your own placement in the search engines and may damage your high-quality rating if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I am including this particular Rss or atom to my e-mail and may consider much more of your respective thrilling content material. Make sure you revise this again soon.. Attorneys http://santiagoavfd.unblog.fr/2013/06/08/potential-lawsuit-clostridium-d...

+1
0
-1
Vickey posted on

I just could not depart your web site before suggesting that
I extremely enjoyed the standard info an individual provide in
your guests? Is gonna be back regularly to check up on new posts

Feel free to surf to my web page 上品 バッグ 信頼 (Vickey)

+1
0
-1