Sports | Softball

Softball swept by Penn

The Lions (12-33, 6-14 Ivy) ended conference play in seventh place, dropping all four games against Penn (32-15, 15-5 Ivy) this weekend. The Lions were again plagued by a lack of offense. In the first game of the series, the Lions managed to take an early lead with a solo shot from junior outfielder Christie Taylor in the second inning. After that, the Columbia offense remained silent while Penn scored five unanswered runs for a 5-1 win. In the nightcap, the Quakers continued their dominance, scoring eight runs in the first three innings, and Penn pitcher Alexis Borden tossed a complete game. When the Lions returned home the next day, the story stayed the same, with Penn catcher Brooke Coloma posting four RBIs and leading the Quakers to a 9-2 win. The Quakers ripped through the Lions’ pitching staff in the last game, while a four-hitter from Borden, who started all four games, ensured a comfortable victory for Penn. The Lions finish their season against Manhattan in a doubleheader on Tuesday.

This has been an ongoing issue for some time now.  The administration has chosen to ignore the lack of success of the softball program.  I totally agree with the comments of Softball Observer - the coaches are not able to motivate players, improve their softball skills, or have them perform to their potential.  Is there any wonder why the players do not play a full 4 years in the program?  Instead, the majority of them quit after a year or two - after learning that softball is no longer fun in this program (remember, thay are not here on an athletic scholarship, so there is no motivation to play other than for the love of the game)..

+1
0
-1

Totally agree.  How long do you get to prove that you know (or in this case don't know) what you are doing.

+1
-1
-1