Sports | Softball

Softball takes on Lehigh in rookie showdown

• CATCHING FIRE | Freshman catcher Liz Caggiano has received the Ivy League Softball Rookie of the Week accolade twice this season, a testament to her stellar slugging abilities and offensive showings of this past week.

In a battle of rookies, the softball team (12-29, 6-10 Ivy) takes on Lehigh (32-16-1) Wednesday at home. The Mountain Hawks perch atop the Patriot League, having dominated the season with their impressive pitching. Lehigh’s pitching staff has combined for 17 shutouts and posted a 1.82 ERA. The Mountain Hawk’s ace, Emily Bausher, has had a strong freshman campaign with a 1.52 ERA. Bausher has been named the Patriot League’s rookie of the year six times this season.
The Lions will need to depend on two of their star rookies to keep them competitive against Lehigh. Freshman catcher Liz Caggiano, who hit three home runs in the past week to earn Ivy League Rookie of the Week honors, will need to repeat her performance to jumpstart the Light Blue offense. From the mound, freshman pitcher Brooke Darling will need to repeat her performances to shut down a Lehigh team that is batting .314 with 26 home runs. First pitch is at 3 p.m. for the first game and 5 p.m. for the second game.