Arts and Entertainment | Miscellaneous

De-stress with bread pudding

• Get It While It’s Hot | This bread pudding recipe is sure to make finals week a little less stressful, particularly when served with ice cream as seen above.

With the onset of finals, what could be better than a delicious food break with friends? Though somewhat unconventional, bread pudding’s mix of strong vanilla and spicy flavors makes it a delectable treat. Best of all, it’s easy to make!

To prepare bread pudding for 8-10 people, you’ll need:

9 cups bread cubes
1 cup nuts and/or dried berries
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (1/2 teaspoon
ground cinnamon, optional)
4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
2 cups whole milk
2 cups half-and-half

Preheat oven to 300 F and spray a baking dish with a cooking spray. Cut bread to bite sized cubes—any dry, chewy bread works. Add 1 cup of nuts and/or dried berries (dried fruit works too, as long as its sliced) to taste.
To make a perfect custard, beat eggs and sugar on high speed in an electric mixer for four minutes. Add vanilla extract, butter, milk, and half-and-half. Spice with ground cinnamon or lemon/orange zest to taste. Beat mixture and gently pour into pan. Make sure that it’s evenly distributed and the bread cubes are under the surface. Let pudding sit for 40 minutes so the bread can absorb the custard. Bake for 40-60 minutes. To make sure that the pudding is well cooked, insert a toothpick in the center after 45 minutes. If it comes out dry and clean, it’s ready.
Let the pudding cool for about an hour and serve it with fresh fruit or ice cream.